Friday, October 4, 2013

These Batman Sengoku era images could belong in any home right next to the fine China

Artist Scott Wade is selling prints of some fabulous Sengoku Batman images. For those of you not in the know, "Sengoku" refers to a period in Japanese history referred to as the "Warring States Period." As its name implies, during this time Japan was embroiled in nearly constant social upheaval, political intrigue, and constant military conflict. It lasted for two-hundred years (between the 15th and 17th centuries) and eventually led to the unification of political power under the Tokugawa Shogunate. A lot of beautiful silk screen art pieces such as the one below are typical of this era:
Being half-Japanese, I love Japanese artwork and have a few prints and silk screens in my home. However, I'd love to get some of the following Batman prints simply because they're both beautiful and show that special geekiness that is "oh so me."


In a gist, these Batman Sengoku era images could belong in any home right next to the fine China. Wouldn't that be a cool dinner conversation? Have a great weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Those are funny.
    After living in Japan, I still have quite a few items, although no silk screen art. (Although my parents have several.) I still have the Geta shoes and Kimono I wore as a child. And my plastic Godzilla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're right!

    Hmm, 15th Century, eh... Wonder if my character in London could come across a Japanese print...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those artworks are beautiful.I did not realize that they incorporated superheros in their art.
    I love the art work on Japanese silkscreen. Very expensive though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the Penguin starts a sushi restaurant he could put that up on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I agree! The Batman prints are fantastic. FYI...I have an original Hiroshige, Night Snow On Kambara. It was in my father's art collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Munir: It's not original Japanese art. Rather, it's an artist recreating the effect and style of "original" Japanese art. Is that confusing?

    @Em: You just made me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it interesting to see Batman reproduced in the style of classical Japanese art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So that's what Victor Freeze's Japanese vacation would look like. Cool prints Mike, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I love these! I want them for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool. I wonder if there's one of the Joker.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those are cool. And if you played it right, you might even be able to fool some people into thinking that they're actually old. The right frame and context...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome..it's funny how that one picture even has bats in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are VERY COOL, Michael!

    Thanks for sharing... I hope you get to acquire one for your collection!

    Have a great weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are simply AMAZING. I'd love to have these hanging on my wall. Especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you hadn't revealed their modern provenance, I would have taken these prints to be antique. They really are beautiful. Can you get one of a numbered edition?

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are beautiful. I'm working on a project where I've decided to paint over an old wooden loveseat in glossy white paint and on the back, I want to recreate Hokusai's The Great Wave. It looks great in my head, but I'm not sure how the rl result is going to turn out..it'll probably take me six months to finish.

    ReplyDelete