Thursday, October 31, 2013

Zombies with flesh falling from their ancient bones assaulting an old New Orleans mansion filled with witches is just plain awesome.

In glorious Halloween fashion, American Horror Story: Coven unveiled its best episode yet last night, and it truly makes me want to write a story about wicked witches. This season has been great. For those of you who don't know, American Horror Story starts and finishes a story arc within each season. They reuse the actors and actresses from the prior season, but the stories are completely unrelated. The first season was a haunted house set in the present. The second season was an asylum set in the 1960's. And the third is in New Orleans at an academy for young witches.

In Coven, New Orleans has been divided in half between two witch clans much like gangs would work out territorial boundaries among themselves in modern day Los Angeles. The "colored" witches as they are referred to in the show follow Marie Lavaeu who we now know is capable of granting immortality, eternal youth, and has the power to raise an army of zombies. She's essentially two-hundred (or more) years old and signed a truce with the former "Supreme" of the other witch clan so that they'd stop warring with each other.
Jessica Lange plays Fiona "the Supreme" in American Horror Story: Coven
The other clan of witches has a council, is mostly made up of white folks, and is led by a witch (the Supreme) who manifests an incredible amount of powers. Jessica Lange fulfills this role quite nicely and honestly she still gets the best lines. The one that caught my ear last night happened while she dressed in front of a mirror for Halloween and finished by donning a pointy black hat and said, ""Tonight I'm going to let the whole world in and get a good look at me. Who's the baddest witch in town?"
The council of witches. They've come to New Orleans to bring Fiona to justice. It's gonna get interesting.
I really like where this season is going. It looks like there's a war brewing between witch clans as the truce worked out between Marie Laveau and the former "Supreme" has been shattered by Fiona. I expect the fireworks to be impressive because Fiona seems to wield the more "in your face" powers like powerful telekinesis and the ability to manipulate fire while the Voodoo clan of witches has the power to create monsters. And lets face it, no horror story is good without some monsters. And zombies with flesh falling from their ancient bones assaulting an old New Orleans mansion filled with witches is just plain awesome.

I can't wait for next week and it actually makes me excited to know that the show creator, Ryan Murphy, is pushing to make this season spinoff into its own series. It's easily, the best one yet. So yeah, witches rule. But you women out there probably already knew that.

15 comments:

  1. I truly love the idea of the American Horror Story but I am such a sissy I watched ones got so freaked out and never got my nerve back.
    I do want to find big girl panties to put on for it though.....

    How can you love something and be terrified of it all at onnce
    http://fabulosityreads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    Have you given any thought to writing horror stories? I saw what you said in the first para, but seriously, with the amount of this stuff you watch, I think you could write some impressive stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched a couple episodes, but it never grabbed me enough to keep watching I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My witches are better. And hotter too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed season 2 of this, but found the first of season 3 last Friday and proceeded to watch the 2nd and 3rd... I'm loving this season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Joy: Thanks for the compliment. I think I'll probably try writing some horror. I have a couple of short stories that I'd like to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series sounds very impressive. Heard of it before but never gave it a look. Also sadly we have no more FX with our provider from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not get into American Horror Story. I'm not sure why. I liked the first season, but I didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've yet to check out American Horror Story. But I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to wish you a Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've meant to start watching this one, but for some reason, something keeps getting in the way. I suppose I should make a bit more effort, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not yet into this one, not sure I want to be. And still have not seen any of the Walking Dead this year. No children zombies!!!! Damn!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't watch Assylum. The thought of torturing the mentally ill just completely turned me off. I'm loving Coven though. I just with they wouldn't make Delphine such a wimp.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I did not know about this show! It sounds quite intriguing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know, I'm on the edge of my seat awaiting the next ep. I was all wigged out that the girls, who seemed to be alone in the house, would be assailed by the zombies with Fiona and her daughter nowhere near to help. Gah!

    Meanwhile, I wanna be Angela Bassett when I grow up, 'cause she's a BAMF, damn it - A BAMF!!!!!
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete