Thursday, January 31, 2013

Witch's Nocturne is more fun than 8 seconds on a bronco

"A handsome and likely intelligent guy, who wasn't my best friend and gay, was something of a unicorn in my life. So I maybe let my eyes linger a touch too long on the front of his pants as he approached. And my posture might've stiffened to let him know I was tall and lean, but still had enough curves to make driving dangerous--and fun."
                                                      -- Witch's Nocturne by E.J. Wesley

You know how agents and professional writing blogs are always telling you to write with voice? E.J. has got voice down. You can pick it up in that single paragraph, and it's like he picks you up and stuffs you into Jenny Moonsong's head. It's SO AWESOME.

I LOVE Witch's Nocturne. Finished it in two lunch breaks at work. E.J. brings alive the best aspects of a paranormal hunter by giving us a character that is equally cool to the well-known Anita Blake that we saw in Laurel K. Hamilton's earlier books, Burnt Offerings and my favorite, Obsidian Butterfly. Here's one of my favorite lines from Hamilton (compare the voice with Penny Moonsong):
Accidental sex. He made it sound like I fell down, and there just happened to be an erection in the way.
Anita Blake, Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton
Jenny Moonsong on the outside, would not fit your typical Texan. But on the inside she's a gun totin', ass-kickin, mohawk wearin', tomahawk totin' female with size 11 boots (everything is big in Texas). Along for the ride is Marshal and the above tall, dark, and handsome stranger who just happens to be a warlock.

Because the story is short, I'm not going to spoil the plot. But if you're a fan of dark paranormal stories that don't shy away from blood, language, and violence all in the name of putting dirty bad nasties (DBN's) back into the grave, then E.J. is the author for you. Witch's Nocturne is the second book in the Moonsong trilogy and I can't wait for the third. I've seen werewolves, and now I've seen a powerful coven of witches summoning dark powers under a blood red moon. What's next E.J.?

I give this novella five stars, because I can't wait until the next installment. Witch's Nocturne is more fun than 8 seconds on a bronco at a championship rodeo. And you can take that all the way to the roundup.

If you are intrigued, visit E.J. at his blog HEREYou can also pick up a copy of Witch's Nocturne by visiting his book page HERE wherein you will find links to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other fine online outlets. For 99 cents, you should own this book out of principle. Seriously. Cheapest entertainment ever.

*****

Ellie Garratt allowed me to post on her blog yesterday. If you have time, please go and visit. I'd love to have some more comments to read. 

17 comments:

  1. I have this book, but haven't had a chance to read it. I love your reviews and your post titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, and I will be checking it out. Thanks Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EJ is great with voice. I have the first book and noticed this from the first paragraph. I hope to finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, I'm speechless. Truly. I'll never get another review this good. Can I place an order for 100,000 more of you? :-D

    Thanks so much for blogging it and posting elsewhere. I'm forever grateful for your kind words and time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Michael. I've heard so many good things about EJ's books! Can't wait to get my own copy. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb and well deserved review, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my tbr pile - with a few hundred others. Maybe I'll bump it up some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, yeah can anyone order this kind of review. AWESOME!

    Now I have to read the book, HAVE TO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *warning* I'm going to have a freak out moment...

    Oh my gosh, yes!!! I loooooove EJ's voice. It's SO my kind of read! (And I love the Anita Blake stuff!) Really, EJ is better than any of the Big 5 books I'm reading right now. I'm so glad you highlighted him, Michael. And you are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apparently I love EJ so much my comment decided to triple itself, LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Brinda: Thanks! I try to be creative.

    @Em: You're welcome :)

    @Cindy: I agree.

    @Alex: mmhmm

    @E.J.: I'm always glad to help a fellow author.

    @Elise: They are very affordable.

    @Ellie: Muchos Gracias senorita

    @Rusty: LOLOL

    @Yolanda: I try to write reviews that sound exciting. I think it's better for sales.

    @Morgan: Lulz. You are the funniest red head.

    @Morgan: That's cause there's not enough of you to go around.

    @

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm never going to get through my TBR pile. At this rate, I'm going to have to reach 100 (at least).

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds exciting. I love books that suck you in. I need to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I really am sold. Witch's Nocturne is on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have my copy, but it will still take me a little longer before it rises on my TBR pile. So many books, so little time.:(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review, Michael! I've been seeing EJ around quite a bit lately and this is in my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete