Friday, August 10, 2012

Provex City by Michael Pierce

This book is an offering in the paranormal/contemporary MG/YA genre and is pretty good.

It's told in first person from the perspective of a boy named Oliver. There's plenty of angst, the boy is the focus of the attention from two girls, and I liked the experimentation with drugs like alcohol (this is what kids do, right?) In one scene Oliver gets plastered from Jell-O shots, and it reminded me of the first time I had Jell-O shots (mine, however, weren't made from Bacardi 151). I think he had a much funner time with it though as Oliver was with a girl at the time. That made the whole getting drunk thing that much racier and more interesting.

There is a ghost in the story, but it isn't a particularly scary ghost. And I never really thought a screwdriver would make an effective weapon, but you see it used in this story in some interesting ways.

The most incredible portion of the story involves Oliver's discovery of Provex City, a place he's able to travel to using what can only be described as a paranormal power. Provex City is a remarkable place populated by people as varied as the ones on Earth, but with more impressive technology (or magic), most notably being the ability to heal others.

Now that I've had a little more time to think about it (I finished it a few days ago), Provex City is the first book I have ever read that uses "Interludes". This is a chapter that explains things that are going on that the narrator would have no idea on his own. I don't think they were jarring, just different. And I think in this situation, were necessary.

I give this book a full five stars out of five and would recommend this read to anyone that is looking for a fast contemporary read told from the boy's perspective. Mr. Pierce is a great writer, and I can't wait to see another offering from him.

Go HERE to mark Provex City "To Read" and be supportive.

Go HERE to purchase the book directly from Amazon for only $2.99.

And visit his BLOG if you would like someone new to network with.

Have a great weekend!

34 comments:

  1. Sounds incredibly authentic and very intriguing. Will have to check this out! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have his book on my iPad and look forward to reading it. Will be one of my first young adult books ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So is Provex City better than your futuristic cities in "Slipstream"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The interludes sound interesting. I know of a few books where something like that could have helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @P.T.: It's definitely different. Oliver doesn't spend much time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May be I will refer this book to my nieces. They are always looking to read something good. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I'm curious to see how I'd like the interludes as a storytelling tool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never heard of him, so I went to follow his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have it, just haven't gotten to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely sounds like an intriguing story. It's good to get more in this genre from the male perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Michael! Yes, enjoying Breaking Bad. One of the writers worked on the X-Files, which is probably why I like it.
    As for Sword of Shannara, it's one of MY favorite books. Came out when I was a teen and inspired me to write my own stories. I've also met Mr. Brooks and have a signed copy of Sword of Shannara. So yes, it would be amazing to see it come to life as a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have got to check this story out as I have been hearing really great things about it.

    Terrific review. Very thoughtful and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started reading Provex City, and so far I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd never heard of interludes, so it'll be interesting to see how they further the plot. I've got this on my list.

    Oh, and in martial arts a screwdriver can be a deadly weapon. Unless you're fighting a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of this book- but I enjoyed your honest review. This sounds like a unique book with some realistic aspects to it. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited to read Michael's book. Hey, are you a KotRT member. If so, his book is up this week so you should post for him. Just a thought.
    Alex - Um, I hate to break the news to you, but CassaStar was YA. It was other things, too, but my son even told his friends about the great YA sci-fi he read. I'm just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review! I stopped doing shots and bong hits years ago. My brain can;t take it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shall spank you right now, Michael, getting drunk is never interesting nor recommendable unless you're getting drunk on love or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll add it to my TBR on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like how you entice us with your review without giving anything away, Michael.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Weird, as I just heard the author on the PodPeople Podcast today. I'm a few weeks behind on my listening schedule, so now I'm exposed to this book twice in the same day.

    Sigh. It does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the review! It sounds like a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Always a pleasure to read your reviews, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks interesting. Maybe I should read it while taking in some jello shots?

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  25. Damn, it come up for review on a Goodreads book group that I am part of...was on a blogging and reading break then.
    Guess will have to put in TBR, a guy's perspective would be a welcome change from all the girl - based contemporary fantasy and YA (why do most of the covers have beautiful girl wearing evening gowns?) that I have been reading lately.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds really good. I've only read one other book that uses an Interlude-type of narration. And I was thankful, as the plot was pretty damn complex.

    I'm going to check this book out. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I guess I need to get on Goodreads just to keep track of all these book recommendations. Not that I'm going to do it, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmm that does sound like an interesting story. Maybe I'll get round to reading it soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. To echo everybody else: sounds like an intriguing read!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Son of a...I take one weekend off. Haha. Thanks, Michael! I really appreciate you reviewing and highlighting my book. I hope you've had a great weekend!

    Thank you, everyone, for the encouraging comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You gave a good boost to Michael's book here. Nice job of creating an enticing review.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete