Wednesday, June 1, 2022

For Pride month the Insecure Writer's Support Group wants to know the strategies we all employ to get out of a tough writing spot.


Welcome to the June 2022 post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Also, every time I write "2022" I'm kind of weirded out that it is the year 2022 already. Here's a rundown of what this monthly blogfest entails (copied directly from there sign-up page which you can find HERE). 

What is the purpose of the IWSG?: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

When do all the writers (signed up for this thing) post?: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day.

What do we post on our various blogs? Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting! Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog! Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

The Twitter handle used by the collective of insecure writers is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the June 1st posting of the IWSG are SE White, Cathrina Constantine, Natalie Aguire, Joylene Nowell Butler, and Jacqui Murray!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

Remember, the question is optional (I'm answering the question)!

June 1 question - When the going gets tough writing the story, how do you keep yourself writing to the end? If have not started the writing yet, why do you think that is and what do you think could help you find your groove and start?

I think the important part is to write a few words. Sometimes I might borrow an opening paragraph from someone else's writing and then add onto it with my own. Then I go back and delete the opening paragraph and just start with my original material or construct an entirely new paragraph. But I'm also saying this from a perspective of someone who quits writing for long periods of time. So, I'm not the best example of a person who sticks to it for long periods. On the contrary, I'm very guilty of just giving up on things or closing something down for a year or more.

That being said, what oftentimes works for me is to just get some words on a page, whether they are old words that I (at one time) wrote down or I "borrow" from another author with the intention of erasing. I just need that catalyst to get unstuck...to get the tires moving again, and to get the gears turning in my head. It's important for me to feel excited about something, and I can't get excited until I've managed to pull myself into a kind of "writing zone" where I'm thinking creatively and have kind of left the real world behind. Don't get me wrong, the real world still exists in my peripheral vision. But if I'm sinking into a story, there's a kind of flow from my brain to the screen that starts to happen that is difficult to describe, and it demands total attention. I don't necessarily know if it's a good thing either, because I can feel like I've been drained after I write for a few hours while "in the zone." Anyway, I hope that helps.

Thanks for visiting, Happy Pride month, and be sure to say hello to the co-hosts that are listed above.

6 comments:

  1. Whatever it takes to get in the zone. Clever idea to use another opening to get you going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you stole that from Finding Forrester. That's how Rob Brown's character got into so much trouble with F Murray Abraham: he forgot to erase the opening Sean Connery had written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I remember that movie. I won't ever get into trouble with this method as I always remember to go back and erase. But, I think it can be a good tool to get the juices flowing, and never more than a paragraph mind you.

      Delete
  3. Being in the zone is definitely a good thing. So is being drained. Then you know you put your entire life force into it, which is what we need to do of course. Blood, sweat and tears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it matters how long you put something aside so long as you do come back to it eventually. We all have our own method and time in which we do all the things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely -- just getting some words on the page is sometimes all that works, or it could lead to many more!

    ReplyDelete