Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The IWSG post for August 2017 is all about the pet peeves.

It's Insecure Writer's Support Group time again. If you want to know more about this blog fest started by sci-fi author, Alex Cavanaugh, go HERE.

Here is the August 2nd Question: What are your pet peeves when reading/writing/editing?

1) In reading, it's just having to read something that isn't interesting to me. And I'm not even sure if I can tell you what is interesting and what isn't. There's more (or less) a feeling that comes over me that "this is going to be good." If I don't get that feeling, I usually read to about page 75 or 100 to try and see if it develops. When it doesn't, I feel like I've wasted my time. So yeah, that's my pet peeve with reading.

2) In writing, my pet peeve is forgetting details about characters and plot. I should have a better memory. But then again, I forget how to spell words that I swore to myself (when I was in high school) that I'd never get wrong. Growing older is like having micro insults sneak up and pepper your ego by taking away small things that you used to take for granted. Over time, I'm sure they all add up to one big thing (but thankfully that's still a few decades down the road).

3) In editing, my pet peeve is getting bored with my own writing. At this stage, I've probably gone over the same words a dozen times, but I know that there's still more I can do. The tedium sets in and then I start looking for distractions. Eventually, I get the job done, but not without thorough procrastination. It's definitely a pet peeve. I applaud you writers who have the discipline of a Shao Lin monk. You are amazing, and you definitely deserve all the buckets of money that you make at your career.

Thanks for coming by, and I hope you liked my list of pet peeves :). 

8 comments:

  1. I frequently get bored with my own writing. I go over it so much, between writing in my head, getting it on paper, and then all the re-reading, I just want to wave a magic wand and have it all work out like I envisioned it.

    And lately, even reading NY Times best selling authors has me wondering just exactly what an engaging, well polished story looks like. Part of that getting older syndrome I guess, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all artists get bored with their own work after a while. We can only stare at it for so long.
    And yeah, growing older does that to you... Speaking of older, is it your birthday? Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot what I was going to say. 😉 Happy birthday! 🎁🎂🎉

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know it was your birthday. I hope you have a special day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, keeping track of the details. I always swear I'm going to be good and keep my story bibles up to date. And then I need that one details, and... Naturally not there. So, I have to search for it. You can be certain it's in the story bible after that, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pet peeves in reading:
    Stupid books that "people" think are great.
    Poorly edited books from big publishers. There's no excuse for bad editing from the big guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry I'm a day late.

    Pet peeve for reading? I recently realized that much as I love beautiful writing, I also get jealous and wonder why I didn't write sentences like those. As for editing -- it really gets to me when I read my ms over and over but a friend who reads it still finds glaring errors. It seems I can get so close to my own work I don't see what I should.

    ReplyDelete