Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The guy that turned BioShock into a phenom is writing Logan's Run and the gods are pleased

Can this fake movie poster please come true?
Ryan Gosling makes everything better. He
doesn't just look photoshopped, but is like...
a real-life photoshop with the power to lift
an otherwise ordinary movie into the
stratosphere of greatness. Or, I may just
be a big Ryan Gosling fan.
One of my favorite stories is Logan's Run. Just to be clear, I'm talking the book and not the movie with a cameo by Farrah Fawcett who plays a nightmarish plastic surgeon (I also want to add that the movie hasn't aged well at all). Written by William F. Nolan & George Clayton Johnson, the book is one of the first sci-fi dystopias in which a future population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by requiring the death of those who are 21 (changed to 30 in the movie). Sound horrific? Well it pretty much is. But horror is captivating is it not?

So why has this movie not been remade? What's the dealio Hollywood? And dystopias are so SIZZLING right now that when I touched The Hunger Games at Barnes and Noble I seriously ended up with first-degree burns! I was so traumatized!

So yeah, dystopias. You've got the one with the girl and the bow, and the other one with the girl who's forced to marry someone she gets matched to in a computer but then sees for a split second someone else's face? And you've got paranormal ones (with a girl), and you've got time traveling ones (with another girl), and you've got political ones (the Handmaid's Tale?). I could go on and on (about girls and their dystopias), but let's just suffice to say that if dystopian books were each a drop of water, you could drown in the ocean of dystopias (provided you were a girl because that's who reads them). Ahem.

So this leads me to my point. And no, my point is not that Ryan Gosling should be cast in everything I watch. Although seriously, he should (and no Grumpy this has nothing to do with his looks and everything to do with his acting talent).

My point is that I was really pleased to learn yesterday that BioShock creator, Ken Levine, has been hired to rewrite the whole screenplay. Just from having seen BioShock, I think this is a good thing. And I hope the movie studio gives the Logan's Run remake a hefty budget because it has all the elements of great science fiction: a futuristic city, robots, and young people with guns (that should make the N.R.A. happy).

Things I remember from the book are colorful tidbits like the glowing cubes where people hooked up to have sex. You could see their silhouettes from the street and the cubes would light up and go dark randomly, giving quite a peep show. Of course, the society is going to be very sexual because the time you have to reproduce (from fertility to death at 21) is so incredibly short. And they really should stick to the age of 21, because that means they could hire the most beautiful young actors in Hollywood to play in this movie. And we all know from watching The Vampire Diaries that young and beautiful is what packs the box office these days (here's lookin' at you Brinda Berry).

I already have opinions about this remake! If I had the director's ear, I'd suggest transforming dresses like the ones that debuted at this year's Paris Fashion Week (happened in March) :


Aren't these just really cool? *Nod your head yes.

So yeah...the guy that turned Bioshock into a phenom is writing Logan's Run and the gods are pleased. Have a great Wednesday.

27 comments:

  1. yes, horror is captivating :) I don't know how the girls walk in those shoes though.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dresses are awesome. Glad Logan's Run seems to be finally getting the movie treatment it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna's comment is great!
    Of course Logan's Run hasn't aged well - it was a 70's movie. Outside of Jaws and Close Encounters, I can't think of many that still look all right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With remakes one always hopes the movie can be as great as it should be. If that makes sense. The cover is awesome. Love the dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the dilemma of going from casual to formal in seconds has perplexed me for years. Seriously though, the designer of those dresses was very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm nodding.

    Based on your comments about drowning in an ocean, I think the time is right to reboot "Waterworld" into a YA, girl-pleasing Dystopia, maybe starring one... RYAN GOSLING?

    I share your fascination with him, by the way: I did a seminar on mortgage banker litigation last week, and we used pictures of Ryan Gosling throughout. "How," you might ask "Did you link together Ryan Gosling and mortgage banking litigation?" Good question: we didn't. I simply said "I put Ryan Gosling in here because people think he's sexy," and then made a number of bad "Sexy Ryan Gosling + mortgage banking" puns.

    Lawyer love bad puns, is where I'm ending this story.

    OR NOT: I also remember Logan's Run, the movie, not the book, which I never read, but mostly I remember Logan's Run the movie because in "Friends," Ross described it as the sexiest sci-fi movie ever made, and then hit on his cousin, Denise Richards. When I retell it it doesn't sound funny but IT WAS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed. Ryan Gosling makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. The reveal of those dresses was just too cool. How inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait...that's a fake movie poster? Sad now.

    And yeah, those dresses are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. at the last Eurosong competition we had dresses that changed colours in front of the audience :) and even turned into a starry sky :)
    I don't like Gosling, he has a very similar egocentric and slightly neurotic approach to acting like Sean Penn. And almost always prefers violent roles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've actually never seen the original movie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes his "talent" lol. I didn't even realize there was a book of "Logan's Run." I did watch the movie once but mostly I think of the scene in "Free Enterprise" where the one guy is turning 30 and dreams he's the runner in "Logan's Run." "We're the only ones who even remember Logan's Run anymore!" Apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @donna and alex: Sounds like a Cocoon reboot is more your speed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ryan is a good looking guy but isn't he too old to play Ryan? It's been a long time since I saw the movie but don't people die when they turn 25? Ryan looks older than that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great poster with Ryan. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the new version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had never know there was a book... I liked the movie years ago, but I guess it would be "old" by today's standards. Movies from the seventies were NOT like the ones from the forties and fifties where they put HUGE amounts of money into costumes and sets.

    Those dresses in my EXPERT opinion are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saw the movie ages ago. Didn't know there was a book. Perhaps they should remake it with a female protagonist? That'll satisfy Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those dresses are stupendous. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked the old movie. Jenny Agutter in this and American Werewolf was pretty awesome.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are awesome dresses. I want one.

    I loved Logans Run. I often quote it - There iiisss noooo sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually love the old Logan's Run and watched it last year. It is dated, but I guess it is nostalgia with me.

    I love Ryan Gosling in everything. A remake would be great. The fashion idea is good for the runway but not too workable. Looks kind of clunky until the skirt falls.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally agreed with everything in your post, but then the quick-change dresses blew my mind. Holy moly!! Now I'm not sure about 21 vs 30 or if Ryan Gosling is the second coming, but -- er -- okay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never read the book, but I loved the movie as a kid. My cousins and I used to play Logan's Run.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The fashion show dresses are very cool.

    I saw Logan's Run years ago and don't remember that much of it. A remake might be really worth doing, but personally I'm tired of movies with only very young, very pretty people and want more substance than glamor in a flick.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't get the fascination with Ryan, he's talented sure, but his looks are bizarre to me. None of the people in Vampire Diaries are hot. The Winchesters from Supernatural have it all over the two dorks in VD. Or you could use the cuties from Teen Wolf. Now there's a talented cast that is good looking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm really okay with Ryan Gosling being cast in every upcoming movie for the next five years.

    He is super-talented. And well, super-hot.

    ReplyDelete