Monday, July 22, 2019

I love the trailer for Star Trek Picard that debuted at San Diego Comic Con.

San Diego Comic Con had a bunch of surprises for me that I didn't anticipate. I guess I haven't been paying attention to entertainment as closely as I might have thought I was. One of the things that was a huge and pleasant surprise was all the Star Trek news that came out of Hall H. In particular, I loved the two minute plus sized trailer for Picard, which is slated to come out in 2020. I had previously thought it was due out in the fall, and I probably just misread that at the time. Still, 2020 isn't far away, and it's starting to look like 2019 will be the last time I can cancel my CBS All Access subscription for a few months to wait for Discovery to return. It's gonna be Star Trek all the time. Eh...there could be worse things, right? :))

In the trailer, which I'll link below, Picard has a dog, and we see some very familiar faces: namely Jeri Ryan reprising her role as 7 of 9 and Brent Spiner coming back as Commander Data. For the record, Data looks really odd (probably a combination of de-aging C.G.I. and other things--for one his cheeks are too fat for an android that doesn't age), but these things aside it's nice to see Data again. The trailer is filmed expertly. It instantly makes me want to know more, which is what a trailer is supposed to do.

At the same time though, it looks to be a much slower paced yet very thought-invoking exploration of the years following the last Next Generation movie, which are filled with tons of events like the destruction of the Romulan homeworld. If you are a fan of J.J. Abrams, you know that event in particular led to alternate timeline Trek where we have Chris Pine playing Captain Kirk three times (probably the only three times that will happen, sadly). However, Chris Pine does do television stuff...he was in a Black Dahlia mini-series filmed by the director of Wonder Woman. So there's always a chance that CBS All Access could approach Pine and say, "Hey...how would you like to play Captain Kirk and do a few seasons of television for us?" Just saying...that would be exceptionally cool.

But the trailer also seems to be infused with a bit of Blade-Runner noir-esque sprinkles. In particular the scene of the woman walking by the storefronts, and it's raining like hell outside. That scene strikes of Blade Runner, and I'm wondering where else we're going to get that kind of thing. I like it a lot. The atmosphere instantly draws you in, and gets the imagination firing on all cylinders.

If you haven't seen the trailer yet, I highly recommend you indulge yourself. Let me know what you think in the comments.

9 comments:

  1. I was already excited for the series and now even more so. Jeri Ryan still looks hot but you're right - Brent Spiner looked odd. But it's probably the effects to make him look younger, much like they make Jeff Bridges look odd in Tron Legacy.
    I thought it came out sooner as well. Guess I won't need to splurge for All Access until next year though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's not just him puttering around a vineyard? How disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't gonna watch it because I feel they spat on the franchise with Discovery, not just the terrible casting but also all the violence and action, but with the announcement of Troi, Riker and Seven of Nine appearing in the series and the series being more contemplative than violent, I might give it a chance. And I do love me some Santiago Cabrera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love Star Trek: Discovery. How odd that we are so far apart on what we like. However, I'm glad that you are intrigued by Star Trek: Picard.

      Delete
  4. I'm pissed at CBS at the moment. Glad the trailer looks good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved Picard. Not crazy about space opera but Picard was always fab to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to watch it, and see what the puffy Data is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the trailer opens with Picard at his family's vineyard/home in France -- nice connection to one of the old episodes. This is one movie I really do want to see, old Trekkie that I am.

    ReplyDelete