Wednesday, February 3, 2021

For the February IWSG we are talking about online friendships we've all made in the digital age.


It's February 3rd and Black History Month. It's also the first Wednesday of February 2021. I was reminded by a friend that 1980 was 41 years ago. I don't know why that stung, but it kind of did. So to take my mind off how long ago 1980 was...I'm going to answer the February 3rd question that's on the Insecure Writer's Support Group Sign-up page which you can find HERE.

Here's a little bit about the IWSG:

It was created by Alex Cavanaugh, who is an amazing science fiction writer and musician and networker. He wears many hats.

It's purpose is to share and encourage other writers.

We all post on the first Wednesday of every month.

Here is the February 3rd question: Blogging is often more than just sharing stories. It's often the start of special friendships and relationships. Have you made any friends through the blogosphere.

I have. I think that Alex and I are friends. We've never met, but I think it'd be fun to do that someday. I feel like I know a bit about him. I have also met Patrick Dilloway in person, and I thought that I had a bit in common with him too. I know we share the same politics, and we have some interests that crossover. Patrick is really into comic books whereas I just kind of dip a little into them. I haven't read actual comics for years, so most of what I remember is old stuff. I do occasionally google stuff to catch up on storylines. Like (apparently) there is a new big bad in the Marvel universe right now that is called Knull who is a bigger and stronger villain than Thanos was. He literally destroyed the Sentry (who is basically Marvel Superman) and just ripped him to pieces in a few seconds. He's the first symbiote or a king of symbiotes (remember Peter Parker's black suit?) Anyway, Patrick would be the "go to" guy to ask all about Knull whereas I'm just passingly aware of Knull and the storyline in general (if that makes any sense).

Another blogger I've met is David Powers King. But he's more than just a blogger. He's a pretty big deal these days too. I know he writes great books for young adults that are a lot of fun to read and should be made into shows on Disney Plus. I had dinner with him once at one of my favorite restaurants in town. But that restaurant closed as did a bunch of others I liked. Covid is like a wrecking ball with restaurants right now.

I've never met Liz, but she seems like she would be a fun person to meet. And then there is Andrew over in the bay area. I'd actually really like to meet Andrew. I think that would be fun. I enjoy reading his review of things, and we are politically aligned too which is always a plus. I'm not saying I don't appreciate conservatives, but I live in Trump country so I'm around them 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. It's just nice to be able to meet people who have the same ideals as me. It's like a breath of fresh air.

Please stop by the IWSG's awesome co-hosts. They are:

Louise - Fundy Blue , Jennifer Lane, Mary Aalgaard, Patsy Collins at Womagwriter, and Nancy Gideon!

Anyway, that's about it for my IWSG post. Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

  1. It's lovely when we can connect with someone far away geographically but close in outlook and interests. Sounds like you've met some keepers! I wish you happy writing in February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should pick up on some comics and graphic novels. I have a subscription to the DC World and it's amazing what I get to read every month. (And then we'd have even more to talk about!)
    Yes, the shutdowns are destroying all the small but so much better restaurants. And businesses. It will be years to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I consider you a friend, too. I can tell you it's nice to live around people who are more politically aligned with you. It's nice. Alas, it's not a 100% thing in these parts, either. (Oh, the lawn signs around the election... I still know which houses to talk quietly in front of.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually...I never heard of Knull. I read mostly older comics because new ones are so expensive. I kept up with Batman for a while but then they changed writers and I haven't really read anything since. Thanks for the shout out though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW if you want to know more about recent comics follow my Blogger buddy Arion (who also draws comics) https://artbyarion.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  5. I'd like to meet you, too, Michael.
    Maybe play some D&D together. We've picked up a Saturday night family D&D habit, so I'm back into that after being away for a very long time.
    I don't really appreciate conservatives much these days. At this point, anyone still on board with Trump can go... well, there are so many things that could be said there, but I'll just leave it at that.

    (Now I'm hoping all my early Venom stuff skyrockets. I don't keep up with comics much these days, so I hadn't heard about Knull.)

    ReplyDelete