Friday, February 19, 2021

The red band trailer for the new Mortal Kombat movie looks like great fun


Two months before the film is to be released, Warner Brothers has put out a trailer for Simon McQuoid's Mortal Kombat video adaptation. When I was in college, the first Mortal Kombat was very popular in these things that we called "arcades" that existed in malls. During my junior year at college, I remember that Mortal Kombat 2 came out and they put one in the area under the cafeteria where all of us went to check our mail. I spent several hours there distracting myself with that dumb game (but I was really good at it so it wasn't expensive).

Well, there have been other Mortal Kombat video game adaptations, but none of them have been good. The one that came out in 1995 had a really metal opening title song by (I think) Rage Against the Machine. I could be wrong though. It's just what I remember.

Anyway, the effects for this thing in the red band trailer I have linked below actually look good. Sub-Zero looks great, as does Liu Kang and Kung Lao. It almost makes me want to learn how to play the newest release of the game on a gaming platform, but I think I have better ways to waste my time. However, it does bring back fond memories. My favorite character to play was Liu Kang, and I just really liked his story.

Anyone else have some Mortal Kombat thoughts? Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

  1. I never played fighting games. Too many combinations to remember. Like the kaiju movies it might provide a couple of hours of mindless entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rage Against the Machine did a song for The Crow soundtrack but I'm not sure if they did one for Mortal Kombat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rage Against the Machine wasn't on the soundtrack but there was a group called Utah Saints lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_(1995_soundtrack)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trailer may look cool, but don't believe it. Never trust a video game movie adaptation to be good. Anticipate that it's awful so you won't be disappointed. If you're pleasantly surprised, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fighting games were what I was best at. Love the 1995 movie. Disappointed the best parts of it were all but gutted for the second one, though Trevor Goddard’s Kano died in the first one, so he was, sadly, automatically out, but that still doesn’t excuse not doing everything possible to bring back Lindon Ashby, Christopher Lambert, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (also technically killed off in the first one), even Bridgette Wilson. Though Brian Thompson was a worthy addition.

    ReplyDelete