Wednesday, August 5, 2020

It's August and the IWSG has questions about genre choices and the way we write.

Dear writers and blogfest participators, it is the first Wednesday of August in the year 2020, and it's time for The Insecure Writer's Support Group monthly post. If you are somehow unaware of this blogfest, you should head over HERE to get setup. It's a lot of fun, and a chance to connect with many other writers. The Insecure Writer's Support group was originally created by Alex Cavanaugh, who is very active in visiting blogs. However, he is not without help. The awesome co-hosts for the August 5 posting of the IWSG are Susan Baury Rouchard, Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jennifer Hawes, Chemist Ken, and Chrys Fey!

August 5 question - Quote: "Although I have written a short story collection, the form found me and not the other way around. Don't write short stories, novels or poems. Just write your truth and your stories will mold into the shapes they need to be."
Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn't planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?
Thus far, I have not ever written in a genre that I hadn't planned on writing in. However, and to be fair, "speculative fiction" is a huge genre encompassing everything from sword and sorcery magic to hard science fiction and everything in-between. Making up things seems to be where my comfort zone is right now, but that doesn't mean that it won't change. My taste in things is continuously evolving.

Thanks for visiting, and I hope the August heat doesn't break your air conditioner. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm in my comfort zone. As long as the AC holds out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The current thing I'm working on I probably thought at first might be a long short story or maybe novella of 20-25K but now it's over 60K, which makes it a novel and it's not quite done yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a plotter--usually know where the story's going and how it'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not seeing a whole lot of "this was unexpected" with the question. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete