Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Today the IWSG asks what publishing path did you take and why?

I've never liked end of summer, but this year I feel ready for it, because it's been miserably hot and smoky for most of July and August. It also means that (with Labor Day now past) my favorite chili in town is now available (they make gazpacho in the summertime), and the annoying Halloween displays are going to start popping out. I don't know why people obsess over Halloween here in Salt Lake City, but they do. And with September, there's also a new Insecure Writer's Support Group post, and that's what I'm doing today. If you arrive here by accident and want to sign up for it, go and click on the link embedded in the prior sentence.

September 5 question - What publishing path are you considering/did you take, and why?

I've done two kinds of publishing: self and small press. In the future I'd probably do the same or I'd ride the query carousel for a while. I self-publish things that I know have a niche market, and I feel I can network better in that niche market than anyone else can (because it is so small). As for small press? Eh...I'm not certain I'd ever do that again. There seems to be little difference between small press and self-publishing to be honest. I think small presses exist for people who can't follow instructions on how to format things, or who might not be technologically savvy. All a small press seems to be is someone who knows how to format a book cover to proper scale and who knows how to make sure that an ebook can be uploaded properly to kindle. I know how to do all that, so there's really no need for a small press in my opinion.

Thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

  1. I guess it depends on the small press. Mine does a lot of work, especially with marketing that I'd have no idea how to do or couldn't afford.
    Not really a fan of Halloween much. Skip decorations and just give me the candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'd be great to have a big publisher with a real editor and marketing department. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that about small presses. I guess it would depend, though. Some small presses might want to expand, and if they're working on that, they might be more proactive. But then again, I'm seeing a lot of them close due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who spent most of the spring fighting with formatting, I had to laugh about small presses being for people who can't follow instructions on how to format things. But I'm happy being an indie author.

    My neighborhood doesn't seem to really decorate for any holiday, but the trick-or-treaters still show up here in force on Halloween. I go through an insane amount of candy...and not just because I eat it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Alex. Just buy the candy, the day after Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vast majority of small publishers are the equivalent of someone self-publishing for other people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty much agreed. I've found much enjoyment through self publishing, and have found a way to make a suitable backup for when going traditional won't work out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to fall - my favorite season. I love giving away candy, but its a dangerous holiday for little ones and I'd be just as happy to abolish the traditional trick-or-treating.

    I am techno-challenged, and need that hand holding to navigate the publishing world. But, I think all publishing venues have their faults and successes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear ya! It's been hot, smoky and miserable. I'm looking forward to cooler weather, but not down right cold! I agree with your statement about small presses. You still have to do all the work. Thought I'd drop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete