Friday, September 7, 2018

I hope the rumor about a live-action Diablo series on Netflix is totally true.

There's a rumor out there that Blizzard entertainment is partnering with Netflix to bring a live-action Diablo series to television audiences/subscribers. When I heard this, I got super excited. I loved Diablo, Diablo II, and Diablo III. The fast pace, dark story, creepy music, and fascinating characters had me as a fan the first time I saw a gory room and the Butcher stepped out exclaiming, "Fresh meat!"

I know I shouldn't hang all my hopes on a rumor, but I can't help it. Assuming that it's greenlit and actually gets produced, here are the things that I would like to see:

1) The atmosphere and the music should remain solidly in the dark fantasy genre. The character of Decard Cain who (in many ways) is the backbone of the franchise because he drops important clues and points the way for you to go is important. I'm thinking Max Von Sydow if he's still alive would be perfect for this role. If not, maybe Ian McKellan.

2) The entire first season should have a slow pace, uncovering mystery after mystery in the small town of Tristram. Eventually, all of the things add up to a "presence" in the catacombs. I'm thinking that the Butcher would be a perfect menace for the season finale. This would make the whole first season a slow boil on tracking down a serial killer in a medieval setting.

3) I think they should have a focus of no more than four characters. I'd choose a crusader, barbarian, monk, and wizard. They should try to get Jason Momoa to play the barbarian and maybe Tom Holland for the Crusader.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Let's all hope it actually shows up on Netflix and that Netflix has the sense to hire some great writers.  

11 comments:

  1. Other than your unrealistic casting it sounds like a good idea. I never played those games back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might actually like them. And I don't think my casting is unrealistic. Tom Holland is an actor for a BBC series (just like Benjamin Cumberbatch is Sherlock) entitled "Wolf Hall" or something like that. He does all kinds of things. Being Spider-Man isn't "consuming" his identity like it did to previous actors. As for Max Von Sydow, he was most recently the Three-Eyed Raven in the tree in Game of Thrones season six, so I know he's up to starring in television.

      Delete
    2. But those shows were before they started in the MCU. They can probably get better offers now.

      Delete
  2. Btw you can get paid to blig about fantasy https://www.tor.com/2018/09/04/tor-com-call-for-contributors-fantasy-bloggers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd be a good fit for fantasy blogging. A lot of the time, I just kind of meander with my thoughts doing a kind of spoilery review of the work and pointing out things that I liked about it (or that didn't work for me). Plus I have ADHD and my brain wants to wander all over the place to different topics.

      Delete
    2. It's not an all the time thing. From the sound of it you just submit articles whenever

      Delete
  3. Diablo would be an awesome game to turn into a show. Glad it's not SyFy considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a show we would love, being SyFy nerds and GoT fans, etc.

    I'd take Jason Momoa for anything, anytime. Armie Hammar would be a great crusader, or maybe Joel Kinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! This would be so totally wicked! I love those games. I'm right there with you on what I'd like to see. Great minds and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you get your wish, but you lost me with "gory room." Eeww. But if Armie Hammer is cast in it, I might watch it a little 'cause I've got a crush on him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should totally figure out who would be working on this and submit your thoughts to them. Who knows? They might need contributors ;)

    ReplyDelete