Monday, October 23, 2023

It's time to admit that Barbie is a Best Picture prospect for the 2023 Academy Awards.


I was originally expecting myself to be watching Dune 2 about this time in the year. This is the sequel to the 2021 Denis Villeneuve adaptation which I liked. It dropped during the pandemic, so I ended up watching it on HBO Max at the time (like a lot of folks). Despite this setback, it still made a "decent" amount of money to warrant a sequel.

But it continually gets pushed back. At first it was November, and now it is set to come out in the spring (March). A lot of this has to do with striking actors and writers and other such things that complicate the world in which we live. At the end of the day, entertainment is just "fun" but the people who make all that entertainment need to get paid for what they do. So...I get it. But in thinking of how the Dune sequel might actually benefit from being pushed back until next year, I have to realize that this may be a good thing because the Barbie movie is actually a contender for the Best Picture Oscar.

I never thought I'd be saying that. Barbie didn't conjure up the images that I would think of when it comes to the coveted "Best Picture." That it is today may just indicate how badly the sheen has rubbed off the Academy Awards: a slow decline of "keeping it real" that just unraveled year after year with people becoming more and more aware of how white the industry is, how exploitative some directors and producers have been (Weinstein), the ageism within the industry, and the infamous Oscar slap that sent Will Smith into exile. And now our country is so divided that woke messaging within films and television is being called out by MAGA groups as "You go woke! You go broke!" exercising their financial muscle and ability to corral their own to "teach libtards a lesson!"

So yeah...it's weird. I don't much enjoy watching the Academy Awards anymore. The glamour feels like it has vanished, and everyone is just a monkey throwing poo. Just these particular monkeys all look nice and wear nice clothes, but their lives don't actually feel envy worthy because I just know too much of what's going on, whether it's painful plastic surgeries, sexual assault, toxic patriarchy, discrimination, or racism (take your pick). Never meet your heroes, and the 24/7 news cycle along with Twitter and other social media (unfortunately) makes this almost impossible. We practically know how a fart smells that comes from a celebrity...and this isn't a good thing. There's no illusion there, and they are no different than us. And when we start thinking that, then you just realize that (at the end of the day) there's little justification as to why they make so much money and all of us make so little. Ugh...talk about losing "suspension of disbelief."

All that being said, we come to Barbie. This film by Greta Gerwig was remarkable, and that's what I'm having an issue with (in my brain) because maybe...I never thought that Barbie was supposed to be taken this seriously. But it should. The message of the film (which is a critique on patriarchy and toxic masculinity) made it into something that was incredibly deep and meaningful instead of this weird light-hearted comedy that I was expecting Barbie to be. And maybe my expectations were built on patriarchy, because (as a man) how could I think that Barbie was important to anyone until I realized that this strange doll from Mattel was (in fact) important to many people? And therein (I suppose) lies the rub of all this. The movie that I would have thought was a shoe-in for not having critical acclaim (and easily dismissible) is in fact the opposite of that. It's a great movie, and its "woke" messaging may in fact make it the juggernaut at the Academy Awards that all other movies should just avoid if they can by pushing release dates out into the next year. I think that's what I'd do if I were calling the shots around a film, especially if I was counting on some Oscar buzz to lift the overall box office and aftermarket sales of my movie.

4 comments:

  1. We may never get that Dune sequel...
    I'm still betting on Oppenheimer. Although I won't be watching the Oscars anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to say at this point. Most of the other contenders don't come out until winter or late fall and then you can't be sure who's going to get the buzz. It's kind of like sports where right now Barbie is the team in the lead but there's a lot of time left or laps or course or whatever and it's still anyone's game.

    To throw in another sports analogy, awards shows are like All Star games where it was still a big deal when I was a kid to watch the baseball All Star Game because it was the only chance in some cases to see players from the National League or just some American League ones who didn't play the Tigers much. But with cable and now streaming you can watch games from either league all the time so the All Star Game doesn't matter much.

    In the same way, awards shows were a big deal to see all those stars but now with social media you can see them 24/7 if you want. It doesn't really matter as much anymore. And winning an Oscar--or several--can help a smaller movie get noticed but a movie like Barbie that's already made almost $2B doesn't really need it. Ironically giving it a bunch of awards buzz might cause it to overshadow smaller movies that might be directed or at least starring women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a girl, I can definitely say that Barbies were an important part of my childhood. I still haven't seen the movie, but I suppose I will get around to it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like you lol https://twitter.com/Planet99publish/status/1716625599576318445

    ReplyDelete