Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Driving a car in America is becoming a luxury.

I don't like to drive, because it has become more dangerous to drive. The more time you are on the road, the more exposure you have to things like road rage, and the more time you have to get into an accident. One type of accident I'm acutely aware of is turning right on red. Not to minimize pedestrian traffic in smaller towns, I'm going to just say that it's challenging to monitor a stream of cars on your left (while waiting at a stop light) and also be aware of pedestrian traffic on your right.

This is particularly true in areas where there's a high homeless population, and homeless people seem to mill around the intersections of busy roads. Because I'm on the road so much, I usually witness an example of someone almost being run over because a driver is monitoring the oncoming traffic on the left, waiting for the break in flow to gun the engine and turn right, only to immediately slam on the brakes as someone screams that was trying to cross the street. They weren't there a moment before, but they hurried up to the sidewalk to try and cross the street before the signal changed. And meanwhile, the person turning right has been under some pressure to get going from the impatient people behind them, who are now backed up on the street.

This is just one example of a terrible potential cost to operating a car in America, lawsuits not even being counted in this statement with respect to auto/pedestrian accidents. And I say this provided that the accident in question isn't just a flat out hit and run, which is extremely common in my city. I would say anecdotally that hit and runs are probably on the rise (and this is due to personal experience where I've counted a growing number of adults who lack personal accountability of any kind). It feels a lot like people are stressed to the max, that they cannot add one more thing to their plate, and something like an accident is going to cost both time and money. A person who feels like the accident is their fault is going to take option "B" more these days. I think the reason for this is that "catch me if you can" actually does work and is a viable strategy for living successfully. It just sucks for everyone else who can't catch you.

Other costs of operating a car in America are also soaring. I remember not too long ago when the price for a new vehicle was around $25,000. Now, the average price of a new vehicle is $50,000, and there are only three cars that (brand new) cost below $20,000. They are the Kia Rio (a subcompact sedan), the Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback, and the Nissan Versa sedan. These are all Asian cars. Anything that white people make costs about twice that.

And there's also the rising cost of insurance, the cost of gas, the cost of tires, and the cost of repairs. I had to repair a head gasket in one of my vehicles, and it cost $3,500.00 after all was said and done. And then my insurance bill (which is just liability only) inexplicably jumped at the beginning of the year. I have a friend who drives an electric car. For years she was so proud that her solar panels paid for the electricity to charge her vehicle. Recently, I asked her why she's driving her gas guzzling Dodge pickup truck around town. She told me that the batteries in her Leaf were dead. The cost to replace and recycle them? $10,000.00. Considering that she's only owned the vehicle for eight years, that's a big cost. At least I think it's big. Maybe to other people, wiping their ass with $10,000 is completely doable, and so it doesn't mean much. But I don't think that kind of behavior is common. I read just this morning that incomes in America need to rise 55% from where they are now in order to restore affordability in housing. Sure, that's "housing" and not "cars," but it's been my experience that what goes on inside the housing market actually touches everything.

So, what's my point? Maybe it's that this is issue 300 of a complaint about modern society and how it's breaking down. Sarcasm aside though, I think it's all being presented here in this blog post so that I can make a statement about cars that I never thought I'd make: owning and operating a car is becoming a luxury.

But maybe it always was. I've heard that statement before too. But I want to push back on it for just a moment, and say, "Historically, I disagree, but something is changing in America, and I don't like it." I think that owning and operating a car wasn't a luxury. I grew up in a small town and everyone I knew in that small town owned and operated a car, and these people weren't rich. It wasn't a luxury. I learned to drive a car at thirteen, because I needed to know how to do that in order to help out on the family farm (agriculture was a big industry for my small town, and we even had a scheduled week-long break from school to help out with the harvest).

There were even laws back then that said if you were "this young" you could drive a vehicle as long as it wasn't nighttime. Sure, back then we also weren't required to wear seatbelts, and there were no airbags in cars, but everyone had one. I knew dozens of families that took road trips in their cars, and they did this to "save money." And this is because owning a car gave you independence, and it also didn't have the tremendous costs associated with operating a vehicle that we have today. Having said all of this, it is weird to wrap my head around the idea that owning a car now is a sign of wealth. It's a sign that you can afford the various "costs of operation," and it is indeed a luxury, just like owning a mink coat might be considered a luxury or wearing expensive perfume. If you live in a city with hostile parking infrastructure, operating a vehicle says that you have the money to pay parking fees.

I guess I don't understand why this is happening, or why we (the collective "we" here) are allowing it to happen. Cars are still as important today as they were fifty years ago. Anyone that has had to navigate the public transit system can tell you that it can take hours to get to where you are going if you have to make three different transfers to get there. And many rural areas don't even have the option of any kind of public transit. Why have we allowed the costs of operating a vehicle soar to unaffordable levels? Does anyone have an answer to this? I'd sure like to hear what you have to say. And meanwhile, the list of people I know who do not drive, do not know how to drive, and do not own a car of any kind just continues to grow. The reason why? They cannot afford to operate a car.

5 comments:

  1. Yay, more doom posting!
    Maybe it's a "luxury" in Salt Lake but here it's pretty much mandatory because the public transportation sucks. Unless you live in walking distance of your workplace (or can work remotely) you have to have a car. Which sucks because of the expense and so many stupid people. I mean just yesterday I had some idiot go all road ragey on me for absolutely no reason. I mean it was a one-lane road during early morning rush hour and this idiot in a Bronco almost takes out my car to pass me in a roundabout...which did no good at all because there was a whole line of cars and trucks in front of us so all he did was move up one car length...for about a hundred yards until I passed him on the right while he stupidly waited for someone to turn left. Then he tailgated me for the next 5 miles even though I hadn't cut him off or flipped him off or anything except honk when he almost hit my car. I thought he might follow me all the way to work but I guess he finally started to use his mammal brain instead of lizard brain and realized he should probably just go wherever he was going.

    Anyway, I'd love to not have to drive but that's just not possible. I have really curtailed driving not just because gas is expensive and people are jerks but also because there's just so much road construction that getting anywhere is such a nuisance--which probably contributes to the jerkiness. I know we have to "fix the damn roads" as Gretchen Whitmer famously said but then they end up working on every damn road in one area so you can't hardly go anywhere. By the time they stop some of these projects (in many cases not even finish, just pause them) it's winter and the snow and ice makes it hard to go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @P.T.: So anytime that I want to just talk about what it's like to live in America it is considered doom posting? I think I'm being accurate and truthful and not exaggerating for effect. I don't see how calling something "blue" when it is in fact "blue" can be anything other than "blue."

      Delete
    2. I'm a grumpy bulldog and even I start thinking, "Can't we talk about something fun instead?"

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the $65,000-$100,000 electric cars with $10,000-$20,000 batteries. Bargains!
    Cars are stupid expensive and for a while there, even used cars soared way, way over book value. I don't know how people who tow fifth wheelers do it at all. The two together cost more than my house did!
    Fortunately my town isn't so big that it's horrible to drive in. (But after one pass through Atlanta, I say, never again.) Just depends on where one's at I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greed. Every corporation is "maximizing profits" at the expense of wages (so people can afford to keep up with inflation), so slowly (think the boiling frog) prices for everything go up until it becomes unsustainable.

    ReplyDelete