Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Obi-Wan Kenobi would have left the Jedi Order for Duchess Satine

A collage of many scenes involving Duchess Satine and Obi-Wan.
Obi-Wan Kenobi said to Duchess Satine before she died, "Had you said the word, I would have left the Jedi Order." After he said that, it was hard not to burst into tears. Oy...what a heart wrenching scene.

After Satine's death, he was asked, "Did you love Satine?"

Obi-Wan replied, "As a Jedi, I'm not to form emotional attachments. But, yes. I did."

In a way, I'm glad that they canceled The Clone Wars cartoon series. The death of Duchess Satine really put a cap on it. She was Obi-Wan's greatest and probably only love in his life, and arguably one of the most influential figures in the canon (mostly because I think Obi-Wan Kenobi was the greatest hero of the Old Republic).
In the clip below, I've embedded the only scene in which I can recall where Obi-Wan Kenobi fights with a red lightsaber. He does joke to Asajj Ventress that "It's not my color." Setup: Darth Maul and his apprentice Savage Oppress are about to kill Obi-Wan when Asajj Ventress (a Sith who is a recurring character and not entirely bad) comes to the rescue. I really got to where I liked Ventress. Sure, she hated the Jedi but she had her reasons. She always fought with two lightsabers and because Obi-Wan doesn't have one (and they're about to be attacked) he borrows one of hers. It's an awesome fight scene.

And yeah for those of you who don't know, Darth Maul didn't die in episode 1: The Phantom Menace. He just got cut in half, abandoned by Palpatine, and pieced together with artificial legs.

33 comments:

  1. That scene was heartbreaking. I kind of like it that Obi-Wan found love too, and he could have easily slid over to the dark side like Anakin.

    I really would have loved to see more of that tension in him though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tragedy makes this series more real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not too familiar with Star Wars, but I enjoyed reading this. I'll watch the video now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Star Wars \m/
    N I loved the video...but..."It's not my color." :D


    Regards
    Kriti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obi-Wan saying that after she was dead? Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It ain't easy being a Jedi. At least they get to be really cool, even though life is hard. And I had no idea Darth Maul survived that battle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obi-Wan was the best character in the prequels, at least after the Phantom Menace where he got to do more than fight Darth Maul. But bringing Darth Maul back to life was lame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you know that Maul was never intended to have been dead? He was supposed to be a major character in Ep II, but Ray Park announced very soon after Ep I came out that he would be back in Ep II, so Lucas cut the part from the script. He hates spoilers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obi-Wan has always been my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love heartbreaking love stories like this. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't watched the Clone Wars animated series, but I keep meaning to check it out on Netflix. I've read a few of the Star Wars books, and I Ventress definitely has her reasons to be who she is.
    Obi Wan in love . . . sweet, and bittersweet.
    Thanks for sharing this post and that awesome clip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your posts because they make me want to watch the series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Obi-Wan has always been my favorite Jedi.

    ~MPL
    http://pepperwords.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good post. I can relate to the Star Wars characters, but do not know of the others. I was sent by Matthew MacNish. :)
    #1241
    A to Z April Blogging Challenge
    http://mauldinfamily1.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/o-is-for-onyx/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Believe it or not, I've only seen the first (original) episodes of Star Wars. Wait! Correction. I did see Phantom Menace.

    I've not seen the Clone Wars, though, but excellent post you've written!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, I'm sorry she died. I never really got the whole Jedi celibacy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's a whole different slant here with the backstory - so rich in meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes. That was a great and touching moment. It made Obi-Wan Kanobi so much easier to empathize with. He was the cerebral Jedi knight with that soft, loving spark.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the artist's drawings.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this is so sad. Maybe they are now together in Jedi heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Darth Maul didn't die. I did not know that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad to have gotten a link to your blog. I love Star Wars!

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're making me want to watch a star wars cartoon series. Which is saying a LOT coming from me. Really.

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never understood how Darth Maul got to be so popular for a guy who was onscreen like 5 minutes total and never uttered a word. Even in this clip I did not find him to be particularly menacing, he seemed cheesy. Darth Vader is the greatest for me and I choose to believe that Anakin had no part in him. At least not the hideous whiny baby that appeared in the films. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think this aspect of The Clone Wars was genius. Obi Wan having loved and lost made him much more sympathetic to Anakin and Padme's marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Michael .. I've never been able to get into these sorts of movies - or books ..... one day perhaps!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete