Friday, March 1, 2013

Who could have predicted that Sweet Home Alabama would make fiction writers obsess over fulgurite for more than a decade

"Sweet Home Alabama" (the movie) came out in 2002 and remains one of my favorite romantic comedies of all time. I just love the story and everyone is just absolutely perfect in it. But one of the best scenes in the movie is when the whole thing comes full circle, and Reese realizes that the one love of her life is now a successful glass blower selling fulgurite sculptures in his shop. What is fulgurite you might ask? It's what happens when lightning strikes sand. At the beginning of the movie, two kids are kissing on the beach, and lightning strikes a metal rod that sticks out of the sand, creating a breathtakingly beautiful glass sculpture.
Now, fulgurite is never as pretty as it is in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama." But that hasn't stopped it from cropping up in the popular CW show "Supernatural" as an ingredient to summon "Death" or from new age hippies finding it on beaches to make cheap jewelry that they purport is infused with "magical energy." It's even in the horrible Hillary Swank movie "The Reaping" as fulgurite wind chimes.

Who could have predicted that "Sweet Home Alabama" would make fiction writers obsess over fulgurite for more than a decade?

Sometimes I think there's this collective unconscious of fiction writers out there who are so driven to be "original" that they all go in search of something weird that supposedly "no one" has used before and it all channels down to one thing that everyone IN FACT uses. In this situation, I think fulgurite has been picked over for ten years in just about anything that has to do with paranormal stuff.
Fulgurite in Sweet Home Alabama
Real Fulgurite
I mean...fulgurite is one of those things that logically, I should know nothing about. Yet I'm completely informed about it because it's in basically every show that I've watched because paranormal fiction is so hot (and has been hot for about a decade). Like you don't even need to explain what it is to me anymore (and I'm thankful that I saw "Sweet Home Alabama" years ago because that explanation is part of the love story).

If someone name drops "fulgurite" I'd be like "Oh yeah...the Winchesters used it to summon 'Death' in this one episode and then in last week's episode, Dean learned he could get 'fulgurite' in a new age shop and oh Hilary Swank had it in 'The Reaping' but it isn't as pretty as the one that was in 'Sweet Home Alabama'...I TOTALLY know what fulgurite is girlfriend..." and I'm sure that the person I was talking to might be mortified because I just took something that they thought was original and showed them...no...it's been done to death and you really should think of something else :(

I sorry. Anyway, now you too know what fulgurite is. May you find some on the beach and remember the words from "Sweet Home Alabama", the show that gave us the best version of fulgurite:

"[T]hat's what happens when lightning strikes..."

And in a love story, a lightning strike is the most important thing. Have a great weekend.

39 comments:

  1. Ha; you learn the strangest things in movies. I love that movie too, and I normally shy away from RomComs.

    I hope you're feeling better Mike. Have a good weekend.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen all of Supernatural up to s7, and don't remember fulgurite. But thanks for the warning, I'll remember not to use it in any of my stories now...unless I decide to use it ironically I guess. hehe

    Real fulgurite sort of has an 'earthy' essence I can get behind. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen Sweet Home Alabama or real fulgurite for that matter, but it looks pretty interesting. The fulgurite that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes you wonder if anything is original. For some reason, we're amazed that the Inca's could follow the movements of the stars, or the Egyptians could build a pyramid. Humans have always been clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lightning glass in that movie was so fake. In reality it's ugly stuff, like you said, but still a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that's what I get for never watching that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michael, Fulgurite. Any relative of kryptonite?

    It's a super successful concept.

    I missed that movie. Now I need to see it. Thanks.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love supernatural! At least until about season five, than it gets too... well, far away from the mood they started with.

    Anyways, that was very informative, and there actually is a theory that, not just authors, but everyone draws on the same wells of creativity. For instance everything is already there, written in the universe, but the creative people, the famous inventors, artists, and business tycoons, can all tap into it when they work.

    On another note I know for a fact that supernatural does their research on occult knowledge. Maybe fulgurite showing up in so many places, at least in the occult side of things, is because it was actually used as ingredients in spells and rituals around the world? Seems interesting to look into. I might just do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids play minecraft (or something like that - mindcraft??) and know all about rocks and minerals and how these things are made. I saved face with my four year old last week because I knew you could make glass from sand and heat because of this movie. I'm guessing the pretty picture is actually blown glass, which is equally fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd create fulgurite with Josh Lucas any time....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I'm a single straight guy I've never watched that movie. But now I know about fulgurite...and knowing is half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never watched Sweet Home Alabama all the way through.

    I don't remember what it looked it—or if it was even shown—on Supernatural.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen the movie but you are so right. I'm mortified each time I come up with an "original" idea then witness it all around me. The mind plays terrible tricks.

    Hope you're feeling all right and not stressing too much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad I have you to inform me on this stuff. I remember it from SHA, but I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else. Didn't even know it was called fulgurite. Huh, I'm kind of inspired to go write about it now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. The funniest thing I know in regards to fulgurite is that awesome comment section under the io9 article that went up this week about how incorrect it is to refer to it as fossilized lightning. Seriously, there were folks really upset about that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really should own that movie. I absolutely love it (though I struggle with the fact that Andrew Hennings is actually a nice guy and feel bad that he got dumped at the altar--and he's even nice about that too). I had never seen a photo of real fulgurite...my bubble has been burst :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suppose everyone using fulgrate is like how two studios make a movie based on the same thing coming out at about the same time. They swear they didn't know about the other until the two projects are competing. I think both studios tap into that collective unconsciousness and pull out the same idea.

    Originality is overrated? Well, at least when you're trying so hard to be original.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They have a giant one of those things at the Boston Museum of Science. It's pretty wicked.

    And you realize that video is the whole damn movie? How do they get away with that on Youbube?

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is outrageous that in Sweet Home Alabama, they made it look like glass! I am offended at the accuracy of such an American classic! haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I mean, three times in 10 years isn't all that much, and I suppose that people want to try to tie in their supernatural phenomena to something that happens in the real world.

    The same thing happens with all kinds of supernatural stuff: someone comes up with something that people like and everyone else riffs off it. You can't swing a cat without hitting a book or tv show or movie about zombies and vampires these days. But there's lesser items that crop up,

    like will o the wisps ("Brave," "Paradise Lost," "Jane Eyre", "Lord Of The Rings," "Spiderwick Chronicles")

    magic daggers ("Lord Of The Rings," "His Dark Materials" trilogy)

    portals into other worlds ("His Dark Materials," "Portal")

    etc.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't remember being particularly impressed with that movie, but, then, it's been a long time since I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Didn't Robert Fulgarite write "Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarten?" Or was that someone else. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lately, I've been reading some good paranormal fiction, so I have a small clue about what's going on.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. "I TOTALLY know what fulgurite is girlfriend." LOL! Very funny.

    I didn't know that much about it. Interesting. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL! Now that I know what fulgurite is, I can see why people latched onto it. It does sound cool, but it certainly doesn't look as pretty as the picture you showed of it from Sweet Home Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't think I ever saw that whole movie. But thanks now I know what fulgurite is, I'll remember not to use it in any of my stories. haha

    ReplyDelete
  27. There's a local artist in Denver whose brass sculptures, I now realize, look a lot like the fulgarite glass one in the photo. Maybe that's one reason why her work is so popular. Interesting how the paranormal field just keeps getting more popular.

    Hope you're doing well, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the educational post about fulgarite. At least it's not vulgarwrite which is something I just made up but it seems to apply to a lot of new Hollywood scripts.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute, I've never actually seen that movie before, so thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  30. And you'd think in all my beach walks I would have discovered at least one fulgarite sculpture. Nada.

    Great Weekend to you, too, Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved that movie, too, and really liked the idea of lightning making such beautiful sculptures! I never paid attention to the name of it - I was probably too distracted, trying to think up some other weird and unusual stuff that no one has ever used before. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I completely agree: Sweet Home Alabama is one of the best romantic comedies. I love both characters and thought they were perfectly cast.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've never seen Sweet Home Alabama although I keep hearing that I should watch it. Now I know about the fulgurite in it if I do watch it...

    Hey, just read about your kidney stone. So sorry you've been so sick! God that's awful! I guess your still watching and waiting, huh? Gack! Too bad we're not a little closer, I'd bring you some food for your recovery! What we really need is a state run health care so you didn't have a deductible that high. That's ridiculous! Geez, as if it's not hard enough to be sick- they have to make money off you! Damn them!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  34. it's cool when movies or books open up to other interests. i just finished a book where i learned about cave rock climbing...

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's QUITE a difference between the Hollywood version and the real thing. Makes me wonder about other stuff I've seen in movies...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Now I've learned a new vocabulary word. A good romantic comedy is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  37. A little late to the party but hey, I learned something. Oh, and thanks for the movie - the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. "...I TOTALLY know what fulgurite is girlfriend..." - ROTFL. Um...I've yet to see Sweet Home Alabama, but now you've made me want to. I'm also way behind on Supernatural. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the lesson Mike. Now I know what not to let my fertility witch in my WIP use as an ingredient.

    ReplyDelete