Monday, December 5, 2011

Meet Kim Simmons of Cubicle Associates

I'm one of those writers that goes to an editor before I actually submit my work to agents or publishers. I know, I know...some people say "that's a waste of money" and "you'll never get that money back." 

Truthfully, I have a job that pays my bills, and I have no illusions about success or the lack thereof. At this point in my life I write because I have stories to tell. I wish I made money at it, but if someone were to ask me, "Do you consider it a job?" I'd answer "No." A job gives you money. Thus far I haven't earned one penny. The balance sheet is in the negative. Do I care? Kinda. But I consider it the cost of doing business.

Big time authors will tell you "Money flows one way...to the author." Well no shit. But sometimes it's good to get someone to edit your book and if you want quality and it to be done in a timely manner by someone with qualifications, then you should pay that person for their time.

I feel lucky to have found Kim. She's affordable, catches many of my obvious errors and some of my not so obvious ones, and she tells me flat out when stuff I write is not working.  She fact checks some and does line-by-line editing. She's also not afraid to tell you when something isn't working and sucks. She edited one of my novels in 2-months. How's that for fast? And I'm serious when I say, working with Kim will not break the bank.

Kim has a business called Cubicle Associates and it's located here.

Q: What made you decide to create Cubicle Associates?

A: I had been on a quest to figure out what my true career desires entail. I've had all these great experiences and I was trying to figure out how to "marry" them. Through brainstorming and prayer...Cubicle Associates was born!

Q: What part of your professional background has proven most valuable with your business ventures?

A: I would say just about every experience. When I was in college I worked my way through as a secretary and administrtiave assistant at the university I attended. I learned a great deal about office etiquette and interacting in a professional setting. As a journalist I found my "voice as a writer" and learned to broaden my scope. Its been a great journey to say the least.

Q: What kind of work are you looking for right now?

A: I'm looking for clients that I can help. Small businesses are ideal because I really believe my talent lies in helping at the ground level. Whether setting up administrative assistant practices to assisting with brand management and marketing; I have a passion to be of help.

Q: Tell us one professional thing about you that you really take pride in that may set you apart from others offering similar services.

A: I'm great a resource. I take great pride in exhausting all avenues of reseach to find answers and/or solutions. Thankfully, down through the years I've built up a good network which makes research and resourcing a bit easier for me.

Q: What advice, if anything, would you offer writers who are looking to publish professionally?

A: Be authentic. No matter the genre, what gets and keeps an audicence is what they can relate to. So don't try to do what someone else has done. Be you. No matter what an editor or professional tells you, there is an audience for your product.

Qualifications:

I graduated from Wayne State University with a BA in Journalism. I was hired first as a general assignment reporter and then promoted to features reporter for the Lima News, in Lima, OH, a newspaper with a daily circulation of 75k. After a number of years in Ohio I moved back to Detroit and began work as the Manager of Events and Conferences for the American Red Cross. In addition I freelance for various local papers in the Detroit area.

31 comments:

  1. Whoa - I was just thinking yesterday that I should ask you who you use for an editor, since you'd mentioned it on your blog before. Then this morning I can't sleep (it's 4:00 a.m. here) and I see you've answered my question and I didn't even have to ask. LOL!

    Thanks for reading my mind and sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with hiring an editor. This business is so competitive that you have to come out of the gate already a winner when you submit. And thanks for sharing who your editor is. When the time comes, I'll contact her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've found a valuable resource in Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that you need someone else to edit and/or go over your work before submitting. Since you don't use betas or critique groups, the only other choice is to pay someone. Kim sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you completely: A good edit is worth its weight in gold. Plus, it's a second pair of eyes on your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah it really sucks to try reading a book and it's riddled with typos and such. Good editors are worth their weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great critique partners can fill this need, but they're tough to find sometimes. I'd hire an editor too, if I felt it would improve the manuscript.

    And, hey, I gave you an award on my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's good to know! I've been fortunate that my test readers and critique partners really rock in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are many pros and cons on hiring an editor. Some writers don't have critique groups or partners and definitely need an editor. Even with some of the best betas and cps, an editor can still catch things to help improve your manuscript. With the competition and the demand for "perfection" I believe a better question may be which editor to use.

    Kim sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's difficult finding great editors that are affordable. In my area, I haven't found any good ones - not even any critique groups.

    So I've turned to my longtime fellow author/bloggers that I've known for 7 yrs or so.

    But thanks for the info. on a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say using an editor is your choice. And aren't they tax deductible, at least a little? : )
    Kim sounds great. I like that she wants to help small businesses. My hubby has an MBA, but when it comes to writing, he needs help. He could use someone like Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sound like a great service, thanks Mike and Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice, Kim seems like a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree that working with an editor before your published is a good idea. If nothing else, it give you experience making revisions and corrections before you have to do it for real. I was lucky and found someone amazing who was just starting out-and she did my ms for free to help build her client list and reputation. I would totally send another ms to her and gladly pay for the service . It's worth it. If she ever decides to stop doing it though, I may check out your editor!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been thinking about having an editor take a look at my MS(s). This is certainly great information. Thanks so much, Kim and Michael! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting. I don't think I'd ever get an editor, unless she does content editing too? My weakness is more pacing type stuff--if she and others like her do that, than I'd very much think about hiring an editor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's always interesting to hear from someone who is doing things differently. I appreciate this post and the peek into the services that Kim offers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you should do what ever works for you. There is no right process with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know, I've considered doing the whole editor thing, not in hiring one but being one, but I just don't think I have the patience do that for other people. In a general sense. I'm good at it, but it's not something I really enjoy.
    So, I suppose, I'm always impressed with anyone that wants to sit down with someone else's manuscript and look for mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes Yes Yes to paying for a decent editor... especially pre e-publishing. She sounds like a gem - thanks for the introduction :)

    PS can't remember if I emailed you or not... but in case not... pop over and join in with Santa Fest at Daily Dodo if you fancy it!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Most publishers and agents say no to hiring an editor before submitting.
    However, in my publishing seminars I still advocate it. A writer with an edited manuscript will stand out over the 95% who skip this step.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A business like Cubicle Associates sounds like a great resource for those looking for an editor--I'm not at the moment, but thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I good editor is a must. I'll be seeking one soon.

    We can make money at this? lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its great to meet you Kim. I'm from Michigan and am familiar with Wayne State, Lima Ohio, and the Detroit area. Good luck to you and Cubicle Associates!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's a great idea, I tend not to produce the cleanest drafts in the world, even when I got back over them several times.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing. I did not even know that you can hire your own editor. I thought publishers have their own editors and that based on their opinion of one's work, the work gets published. Great to know and pass it down to people who want to be published.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview. One of my CP's hired an editor for her material and recommended him to me. He gave really great feedback and helped tweak my ms to the next level. I love my CP's and they are AMAZING!! But it was nice to get some feedback from an editor too, because we can't always catch what needs to be fixed sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for introducing Kim to us! She sounds amazing and has a great resume and lots of experience. I think that's awesome that you went to a professional editor. Very smart! I will have to bookmark this for when I reach the "professional editing" point! Plus, I really love the advice she gives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good information... thanks for sharing her details.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've thought about using an editor. I'm going to bookmark this page for when I have yet another final draft. Thanks, Michael!

    ReplyDelete