Wednesday, September 4, 2024

In the September IWSG post I reflect on my most frustrating educational tidbits that I struggle with when I write.


The band Greenday has a song with a line in the lyrics that says, "Wake me up when September ends..." I've also heard of the term "the September Scaries," which I don't quite understand. I think September is a wonderful month. The days aren't as long, which means that I'm not prematurely awakened by sunlight peeping in through my curtains (I'm pretty sensitive to light) in the morning. The intense 100 degree heat of the summer has cooled to something a lot more moderate, and the nights aren't so cold that you need to turn the heat on (at least around here they are not). I love September.

And with expressing that sentiment, I'm moving on to the Insecure Writer's Support Group post. This is a blogfest that I participate in and the rules below come from their website, which you can find HERE.

What is the purpose of the IWSG?: It is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds.

When do y'all post?: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. This is when you should post your thoughts on your own blog. Alternately, you could talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. You could discuss your struggles and triumphs, or offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. If you want to grow your own blog, this is a great time to network.

The X (Twitter) handle for the IWSG is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the September 4 posting of the IWSG are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando!

Now, every month, the IWSG announces a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

Remember, the question is optional!
September 4 question - Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?
I'm pretty old, so I'm going to answer this not from an English class per se, but as one who learned to type on a conventional (electronic) typewriter. A thing that messed me up for a long time was two spaces after a "period" and using the "tab" key. You should never use "tab." However, there are some things from my English class that I've since tossed as well. One of these is "never start a sentence with the word 'And.'" Another is to avoid the use of 'very.' I agree that it is a weak adverb, but people use it all the time. I also think that avoiding weak writing doesn't matter as much as it used to (dangling preposition which is also okay now). Readers don't seem to care anymore unless you are writing for a certain standard of reader (a highly educated one). So, know your audience (I guess) is the best advice I have to give on this. 

Thank you for coming by my blog, and I look forward to networking with you.

6 comments:

  1. It took me a long time to get out of the habit of the two spaces after the full stop. Oh the memories. And I completely agree with September, although for me, October may have the edge with its changing colours and the beginning of warm, cosy nights in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the two spaces! Had to unlearn that. I do watch how many times I use very though as I can definitely overuse it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I agree with you! I learned to type on my mother's portable Royal typewriter back in the 1950s. The only problem was I typed too fast, and the keys would stick! Yes, it also took me a while to adjust to only one space after a period, but I loved seeing my own words in print right away. Just as I love writing with the computer. That keyboard can keep up with me! Enjoy the fall, for winter comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an actual typing class in junior high that in hindsight was a really good thing because it taught me the home row typing that's faster than hunting and pecking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, "know your audience" is a perfect rule to follow. As for the typing, when I edit a manuscript for someone, I don't mention the double spacing after a sentence, as it may be personal preference, but I know it can appear odd in the layout when produced in print or ebook.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be nice to live someplace where it gets cooler in September. Here, we're just gearing up for more heat. Sigh.

    Yeah, unlearning that two spaces after a period... wasn't as hard as I expected when I decided to do that. I made the decision, and it didn't take me long at all. I found it weird at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Advertisement 1