Friday, June 26, 2020

I should have seen Mulan by now. I wish times were different.

Without much to write about, I started to think about the summer movies that I would have seen by now and pick out one that (I think) I would have really enjoyed. That movie is Disney's Mulan. The reasons I was excited to see it were because I enjoyed the original story, and I tend to gravitate toward things with Asian themes to them (as I'm half-Asian). From the preview trailers that I've seen of the movie, it looked fantastic with the usual high production values from Disney and cinematography which feels epic in its lavish portrayal of China.

Regarding this kind of thing, we probably can thank many actual Chinese directors for this particular take on China. I can think of Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and Curse of the Golden Flower to name a few off the top of my head, as well as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Curse of the Golden Flower in particular is a tragic tale that sticks in my memory, because the final fate of one of the royals in that show is quite gruesome in its telling. Not that Disney's Mulan will have any gruesomeness to it, but it does seem to be borrowing heavily from the tradition of presenting China in bold color and fantastical beauty.

I am a little disappointed that there won't be a talking dragon called Mu-Shu being played by Eddie Murphy. However, I'm looking forward to seeing how they avoid that character in favor of something else that might seem to be a better fit in a movie with live actors.

Are any of you lamenting the absent summer movies? Are there any in particular that you wish you could have seen by now? These are interesting times, indeed.


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I am definitely missing the weekly movie. The direct to video stuff has been sub-par at best. Sadly, I don't think theaters will be open next month, so who knows when we will see Mulan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they'd released Wonder Woman 84 before the pandemic. Otherwise there wasn't much I cared about on the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally wait for most movies to come to TV before I see them, and there was nothing pulling me into theaters (although I adore the Wonder Woman 84 trailer--the song they used pulls me right back into my teen years). So, I'm not missing movies. But yeah, I see how this is rough for you. Are they talking about opening theaters your way yet? I know I've heard rumblings here.

    ReplyDelete