Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Stargirl is a fantastic show and you can watch it on the CW every week.

I've got to say that I'm about six episodes into the new CW show, Stargirl, and I absolutely love it. Unlike some of the other CW offerings, the drama between angsty characters is a lot more subdued. For example, there's less of things like Barry Allen (The Flash) moping around with regard to his relationship with Iris and being all moody about how only he can do this thing (and then it turns out that he actually doesn't need to do that, because...you know...there is no "I" in team). But even more than cutting some of the soap opera out of this thing, it has lots of superhero action that I crave from a show, and it's pretty light-hearted giving us mustache twirling villains that seem way more aligned with all the best things I love about Legends of Tomorrow. In other words, it doesn't ever take itself too seriously.

It also has a strange kind of Spielberg-esque circa 1980's vibe to it that reminds me of the best parts I enjoyed from E.T. and other movies of similar bent. I'm not exactly sure how they are accomplishing this, but I do like it. Maybe it's the small town setting that does it, but Smallville also had a small town setting and I didn't get the same feel from it as I do from Stargirl. I'm really liking that Stargirl is putting together a new JSA, and I cannot wait to finally see Doctor Fate in action. He was an incredibly interesting character, and the full-helmeted Doctor Fate was an extremely powerful sorcerer (so that should be a lot of fun).

I have heard that the reason this show feels different is because it comes from DC Universe. If so, then that does make sense. The DC Universe shows I have watched thus far, like Doom Patrol and Titans all had higher production values (I think) than the CW did. Their special effects also looked better, so I guess I'm saying that it looks and feels cinematic. I wonder if it will crossover with the other DC universe shows. I'd love to see Titans and Doom Patrol crossovers.

Is anyone else impressed with the show?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't watched it. Based on what brief snippets I have seen, I hadn't planned to watch it, either. But maybe I should give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched that yet. I did watch the first 3 episodes of Doom Patrol being offered for free on YouTube and liked those. As you say the production values on that are a lot better than the CW shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Luke Wilson?
    I might watch it for Luke Wilson.
    I used to love the Starman comic which, I know, has no actual relation to this other than being a distant precursor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's Luke Wilson. He plays S.T.R.I.P.E., a pilot of a big robot that he made from car parts. It kinda looks like The Iron Giant. He was the original sidekick to Starman who got killed about sixteen years earlier in the show. There are flashbacks which are done really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. I'm not fond of Courtney, but she does act her age, so that's a plus. I really like Pat. He's the character that keeps me hooked. (I thought the original JSA was killed 10 years ago, or did I see that wrong?)

    The CW has a great streaming app (free, but with commercials) that's great to catch up on shows if anyone has missed this thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah the original JSA was killed off in the pilot episode, paving the way for the newbies.

    ReplyDelete