Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Can I hope that the Netflix Lost in Space series is a hybrid of the movie and the original series from 1966?

Netflix is remaking the 1960's television series, Lost in Space. I liked the original series, and although I did not hate the movie (made almost two decades ago), there were some things that I'd like Netflix to take from that too.

Yes, the movie had flaws. There was terrible computer graphics, and the monkey was an awful choice. The inclusion of the monkey is how you know everyone involved in the movie is probably doing cocaine.

But the father/son relationship was really interesting. Will was brilliant but the father was distant. I also liked the way Dr. Smith manipulated Will, because it brought out the real strength in the father/son relationship. Also, the same guy who did the voice for the Robot in the 1966 show did it for the movie. That's kind of cool. Also, will the Robot shout out "Danger, Will Robinson!?" You know that has got to happen, or it isn't Lost in Space.

As for the original series, I enjoyed it. Of course, I only saw it on reruns but there wasn't really any complicated back story that you had to swallow. These people were all on a colony ship that got lost in space. How easy of an explanation is that? It's pretty much an invitation to make every episode crazier than the last, because anything can happen in an infinite universe.

My hope is that the new one borrows gritty elements from the movie and somehow fuses them together with the silly, comedic vibe that made the series worth watching (especially if you are a kid). Netflix has a good track record for making quality programming, so here's to hoping that it's good.




7 comments:

  1. Netflix indeed does great shows. The only thing to disappoint me really has been Dragons: Race to the Edge - Season 3. Clearly a rush job. I just don't get why when you release the previous seasons once a year, you'd do the third barely six months later. Seriously? Luke Cage is coming though and I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the original TV show when it first aired but after a few seasons the plots became too stupid even for an eight year old like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as it's a lot better than the movie, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still say, "Danger, Will Robinson!" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's not a gritty reboot like Battlestar Galactica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot of places it could go. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, but I never was a Lost in Space fan. I was a Trekkie instead. But I hope Netflix does the right thing for fans like you, Mike.

    ReplyDelete