Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Godzilla is the eldritch movie to satisfy your Lovecraftian wet dream


So, you guys know that I LOVE kaiju movies and yesterday was a treat because we got the first trailer for the new Godzilla reboot. Let's just say, it gave me chills. And yeah, I have to analyze it because that's just the way my brain works.

First of all, Let's begin with addressing some of the technical stuff for the uninitiated. The narration is done by actor David Strathairn. The last time I saw him on the screen was for the second season of the now defunct SyFy show "Alphas." For the record, I thought Alphas was good and hated how they ended the series by killing everyone (it's the only show I've ever seen that did that). David has one of those voices that's technically perfect for a voiceover movie trailer. But he's not the only one on the cast that I'm excited to see (insert mandatory "squee" here).

Walter White is no longer the "one who knocks." But aside from this jib at Breaking Bad (best series ever!) I'm experiencing a "baby blue euphoria" at spotting Bryan Cranston. The only thing really that could make the comeback of the King of all Monsters even better is a dash of Walter White and THAT'S TOTALLY WHAT WE'RE GETTING!

Now (I'm a little bit of a classical music geek) so I'll tell you that the opening score for the trailer during the paratroop sequence is called Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, 2 Mixed Choirs and Orchestra and hopefully some of you recognize it from the Stanley Kubrik adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey. It really makes the fall done by those soldiers seem like a descent into Hell (that combined with the absolutely stunning visuals of a city on fire). I'm reaching for words like "Eldritch" and "Lovecraftian." It really needed just one more thing: someone doing the whole "Oppenheimer speech" that I start my free short story, The Insanity of Zero, with. You know, the one that says "I am become Death, destroyer of worlds..."

As an aside, I'd like to point out that it appears atomic breath is back in a big way (the Matthew Broderick Godzilla film of yesteryear ignored this much to my chagrin). I point to evidence of the giant carved holes through the buildings that are all charred and melted-looking that we see in the trailer. Those weren't created by a big monster running cartoon-like through the sides of skyscrapers.

Also, what is a H.A.L.O. jump?
Ahem...a HALO Jump (for those of you that don't play the video game) stands for High Altitude Low Opening. This is used to keep aircraft above radar and limit the amount of time a jumper's parachute is visible. Think extreme height (like 20,000 feet) and deploy your parachute right before you go splat. That way you evade conventional anti-air fire or detection until the last minute. Because of the devastation and all the smoke, the flares we see are probably used more for the soldier's benefit than to actually hide from Godzilla. They probably think that the monster is stupid so can't act on the flares anyway, and they are so small they'll be beneath detection (which is entirely possible because Godzilla is frickin' huge).
This seriously needs to happen someday. Guillermo get on it please.
Now (small spoiler alert) the internet seems to think that the concept behind this film is that there's a secret organization called MUTO that's out there creating monsters and that Godzilla is a kind of "curse" the planet delivers unto us for doing so...for toying around with science. Find out more about M.U.T.O. by visiting their viral website HERE. The thing I love about this website is that it makes you feel like you're actually exploring some weird and classified information! And what better place to have Godzilla show up than the tech happy urban hub of San Francisco?

Honestly, I can't help but think that the reason San Francisco is being used is to support the "Occupy Google" movement. Yep, that's got to be it. So did I tell you everything you needed to know about Godzilla to be excited about it now? As usual, your comments on this important science fiction topic are greatly appreciated :).

13 comments:

  1. I watched the trailer three times on JoBlo's site yesterday!
    Atomic breath AND the classic roar - it's really Godzilla this time. Whoever thought giant iguana should be flogged.
    Edwards did such an amazing job with Monsters, and on a budget of $540,000, that I am stoked to see what he can do with a real budget. The realism of Monsters and the respect for the giant creatures should translate well to this film.
    Been watching Godzilla films since the sixties - ready to be blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's in San Francisco I guess that explains why all those white American guys were there. Though really Godzilla without Tokyo is like Batman without Gotham City.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not like the flares. That's one of those things where they say "that looks really cool" and throw realism out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't watch the trailer on my work PC but your post makes me so frickin excited to check it out later

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still think if they had renewed Alphas, they would have found a way to bring them all back from the dead. Or the death wasn't real. I think of that "ending" as an unresolved cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google? What about FB? Right there in Palo Alto or whatever--by San Francisco. Great review and I have no idea what most of this stuff means but I like Godzilla movies and this sounds powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fascinating how Godzilla keeps reappearing in our culture. It seems to be an idea we love too much to give up. I'll probably go see this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly looks better than the last Godzilla movie. Good director so should be fun movie.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know they were even doing Godzilla again. My oldest son had all the old, old ones on VHS when he was little.
    I didn't realize Alphas ended. I thought a new season would start and they would somehow all be okay. They're all dead? That was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the first scene in Metal Gear Solid 3 is a HALO jump

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope he eats people. :D That's how I like my giant reptile movies. I'll go watch it. I love giant reptiles. Have Pacific Rim in the house for holiday viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how Godzilla slowly comes into view through all the smoke and debris. Thanks for all the info and this movie looks and sounds amazing so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Usually I wouldn't go to see something like Godzilla, but I have to say this trailer is remarkable, so now I have to check out the movie.

    ReplyDelete