Wednesday, November 2, 2022

In the November IWSG I contemplate why I have never participated in NaNo. And also Happy Holidays to you 2022.


Hello everyone, and happy NaNo. This is my last post for 2022, so I figured I'd make it for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. I shall be back in the new year (2023) for the Insecure Writer's Support Group post in January. If I don't hear from any of you between now and then, have a Happy Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

Here's a bit about the Insecure Writer's Support Group copied (and modified some) directly from the sign-up page, which you can find AT THIS LINK.

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting! Be sure to link to the IWSG page and display the badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog! Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

The IWSG Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and their hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the November 2nd posting of the IWSG are Diedre Knight, Douglas Thomas Greening, Nick Wilford, and Diane Burton!

Every month, the IWSG announces a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

Remember, the question is optional!

November 2nd question - November is National Novel Writing Month. Have you ever participated? If not, why not?

I have never participated. When I first heard of NaNo WriMo I think I didn't participate, because I didn't have trouble writing a book, which is what I think its purpose is. If anything, my books ended up being too large. On many nights, I could write like 4,000 words easy, and it wasn't hard to come back to those words the very next day. In-between then and now, something has changed. I'm not sure that I'm a novel writer anymore. I don't feel the compulsion to write stories or to want to see things I've published being read or reviewed. Rather, I really enjoy reading what other people write. I don't know if it's just a phase, or if I've become more of a discerning audience for books to find homes with.

This isn't to say that I'm not a writer. I very much enjoy writing on my blog. And I do a lot of writing for work, but it's more the technical writing stuff. And I'm currently writing a module for Dungeons & Dragons to test out on my group (we play on most Saturdays at my house). D&D is kind of a "living" novel. You get instant "live" feedback on your ideas and can see how they land with people whose characters are part of the story. My current group has these characters: a rabbit person (think a kind of fey), a tortle (a tortoise that has many human traits), a devilish character with horns and a tail, someone playing a human male slut, a knight in shiny armor, and an assassin. It's all quite interesting, and they are very much enjoying playing these characters in the world I've created for them, and they do many funny and interesting things. A lot of it is completely unexpected.

Of course, I make no money at the above, and money is always nice. There's part of me that wonders if maybe I'm not one of those writers that embraces the monetization of something they enjoy. This clearly works out for some people, and I applaud those people wholeheartedly. But I think I may like crafting stories without the pressure of trying to market them. I feel like there's a lot more freedom there. Writing is also a pretty lonely experience. When you are at your computer, tapping at keys, you are just by yourself. Sure, your mind is very distracted with what you are doing, essentially immersing yourself in your imagination. But the real-world matters, and how we interact with the real world defines the minutes and hours of our lives. Even though I'm not making any money writing, I'm making lots of friends by running and participating in Dungeons & Dragons games. So, I get to scratch that itch and have people over for a fun time, and this oftentimes spills over to other days in which we get together for other things. Being social is fun, and having friends is fun, especially when they are your unique kind of weird.

Anyway, I hope that is a good answer to this month's question. As I said above, I will be skipping the December IWSG post, but I will be back for January's. See you all then.

P.S. Watch AMC's Interview with the Vampire. I need a 3rd season of this show like I need air to breathe. It's so good.

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy your holidays!
    I never worried about the money. That was always a bonus.
    Crafting a D&D story is hard work - I've done it. If you've made an adventure the others are enjoying, that is the highest compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Alex: I'd be curious as to the adventures you've come up with for sure. I bet they are a ton of fun.

      Delete
  2. Happy holidays!
    Your answer makes a lot of sense to me! Sometimes it's more fun just to read, and other times it's more fun to write something without adding on the pressure "can I will I when can I put this out into the world?"
    If I'd had friends back in high school who were into D&D my life would have turned out a lot differently, ha ha! I'd probably be writing way more fantasy stories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Deniz: It's quite possible that playing D&D may actually run counter to a writer's goals. When I come up with stories for my D&D group, I feel a lot of satisfaction in telling them. Which (then) makes me not want to write them down as a novel or a story. It's interesting to think about it that way. So, if you really want to write for a living, it may be counterintuitive to spend your creative capital on running games for other people.

      Delete
  3. Happy Holidays! If writing D&D stories makes you happy and you don't need to try to make money, then I say to keep doing it. I didn't realize that Interview with the Vampire show was already on its second season; I thought it had just started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @P.T.: Clarification--Interview with the Vampire is on season 1 episode 5 as of this writing. But it has already been renewed for season 2. I want more people to watch the show so that I get a season 3. So, in my rush to be enthusiastic about the show, I might have given the impression that there are more seasons than there actually are. But yes, I do get eight more episodes next year, which will have to suffice should it get canceled for some reason (I hope it doesn't).

      Delete
  4. I think we go through phases. Will you get back to writing novels? Who knows? It doesn't sound like it's an itch you need to scratch.

    Happy holidays. I hope they're exactly what you want them to be this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my experience, the periods spent where you can't get any writing done are lead ups to periods of intense writing. That could just be me, but it's something to keep in mind. Anyhow, good luck to you, and I hope your D&D folks love your new module.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to make sure I'm having fun writing and not think about the payment too much. After all, the reason I write is because I do have fun with it. At the same time, because I'm putting a lot of work into it and am putting it out there (in books) I do expect to get a fair amount of pay for it. Writing's a craft like building houses or making prints for tees and so I expect payment if somebody wants a copy of my book. However, for those who let payment go and just write for the fun of it, I can perfectly understand where they find the comfort in that. It does take one form of stress out of a person's life.

    Happy Holidays to you as well! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete