Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The 2023 IWSG sets up the new year by asking what word you'd use to define yourself going forward.


Happy New Year everyone. Whether we want it or not, 2023 is here. I'm sure that this year will be full of challenges just like 2022 was. I (for one) hope that there are a few less financial challenges that arise this year, but I guess we will see. Being the first Wednesday of the new year, it is also time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group post. But before I get around to answering the question, here's a little bit about what the IWSG is, and how you can join it too in order to network with other writers. Disclaimer: I borrowed most of this from the IWSG sign-up page. 

What is the purpose of the IWSG?: Simple! It's to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! On a personal note, it's weird that we are in 2023, and many of us are still concerned with appearing foolish and weak. Maybe this is part of the human condition that we just cannot escape. Or, we have all just grown used to a world which holds no empathy for anyone.

When does the IWSG army post?: We do so on the first Wednesday of every month. This is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. To participate, you post your thoughts on your own blog. You talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. You discuss your struggles and triumphs. You offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. You visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting.

When you participate, be sure to link to their sign-up page located HERE, and display their badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog! Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the January 4 posting of the IWSG are Jemima Pett, Debs Carey, Kim Lajevardi, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre, and T. Powell Coltrin!

Now, about that question I mentioned above that I was answering....

Every month, the IWSG organizers announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. But always remember that the question is optional!

Now here is the January 4th question - Do you have a word of the year? Is there one word that sums up what you need to work on or change in the coming year? For instance, in 2021 my word of the year was Finish. I was determined to finished my first draft by the end of the year. In 2022, my word of the year is Ease. I want to get my process, systems, finances, and routines where life flows with ease and less chaos. What is your word for 2023? Why?

For 2023, my word of the year is going to be "No." I'm going to say "no" to a lot of things. "No," is going to be my new boundary word. I'm not going to get roped into time-eating and exhausting activities demanded by family or acquaintances or work. I'm going to say "no" to inflation eating away at my lifestyle by finding new ways to increase my income. I'm going to say "no" to aging by lifting weights and getting stronger. I'm going to say "no" to things I have always done that make me miserable and reclaim the time I spent doing those things and repurpose that time toward pursuing joy. I'm going to say "no" to people who are always complaining and want someone to listen to their complaints. I'm going to say "no" to gaslighting, and "no" to manipulators. I'm going to say "no" to Covid-deniers and vaccine deniers and the expectations they heap upon others. I'm going to say "no" to go fund me's and others begging or asking for money. And honestly, I think things are gonna be okay, even with all of those "no's" that are coming from me. I think the word "no" is underappreciated, and a bunch of us would be in a better place if we said it more often. Thanks for visiting.

4 comments:

  1. I'd say No you're probably not going to be successful with all of that like most people aren't with New Year's resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just say no! That is a smart plan. Too many things steal our life from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. It's time you set boundaries so you don't get roped into all the crap you don't need to deal with.

    ReplyDelete