Thursday, October 8, 2026

For October horror the Insecure Writer's Support Group wants to know if a writer should disclose that they use Ai.


Here in Salt Lake (where I live), it is still summer in October. This week we are flirting with 90-degree temperatures (the normal is 72). I once wished that I lived in the "Land of Eternal Summer." I think I was really naive when I made that wish. I'm tired of hot and the high energy bills that result from trying to cool off the house. Anyway, since this is the first Wednesday of October, It's time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. If you would also like to participate, go HERE to sign up. It has staying power, having been around for fifteen years.

What is the purpose of the IWSG?: It is to share and encourage other writers.

When do participants post?: The blog fest kicks off on the first Wednesday of every month.

What should I post about? Well, one idea is to post your thoughts on writing. For example, you could talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered and discuss your struggles and triumphs. If you don't want to do that, you could offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling (there are always people who are riding the "struggle bus"). While you're participating, you should visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog. Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

The X (formerly Twitter) handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the October 7 posting of the IWSG are Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Liza at Middle Passages, JH Moncrieff, and Jemima Pett!

Every month, the IWSG announces a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

Here is the October 7th question:
Many people are calling for writers who use AI to disclose it. Most who employ ghostwriters do not admit it - do you think authors who use ghostwriters should have to disclose that, too? (Thanks Melissa Maygrove for the question!)

I think that every writer of every kind should have to disclose whether or not they are using Ai. This is just being honest. I would prefer to know right there in the blurb or on the website so that I could avoid spending money on the book. Like...I literally would choose to not even read it no matter how much people raved about it. However, at least in America, pulling one over on the consumer is always how everyone gets ahead in this country. Crime pays and there doesn't seem to be any consequences anymore for criminal behavior. So...all that being said...people should do what they want. Now, if you get caught and it embarrasses you or destroys your brand, you deserve it. If you don't get caught? Well...shame on you but there's tons of people every day who are just brazenly doing illegal things and they aren't getting caught. "When in Rome," right? I'm just being realistic here. Thanks for visiting :).

1 comment:

Advertisement 1