Wednesday, May 3, 2023

For the May 2023 IWSG I talk about what inspires me to write.


Guardians of the Galaxy 3
is out this week, which means that May has finally arrived in my brain. I kinda have this weird calendar in my head where I associate certain times with movies or television I want to see. For example, Spiderman: Across the Spider-Verse comes out in the first week of June, and then Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is essentially the July 4th movie this year. So, I know when that movie hits theaters that it is time for fireworks. And Ahsoka (the Disney+ series) is what I'm looking forward to for August. By the time that hits, I know that summer has only got a few weeks left in it, so I'd better suck it up.

But being the first week of May is also exciting because it means that it is time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. You can find all about that HERE and even sign up if you'd like. And to tell you a little bit about the IWSG, I've borrowed some of their words from the sign-up page.

First off, what is the purpose of the IWSG?: It's to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds.

Second, when do y'all post?: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. This is the day you are supposed to post your thoughts on your own blog. You might talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Or you might discuss your struggles and triumphs and offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Another thing you could do is visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog! Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

The Twitter handle for the Insecure Writer's Support Group is @TheIWSG and the hashtag that everyone uses is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the May 3 posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Meka James, Victoria Marie Lees, and M Louise Barbour!

Now, every month the IWSG also announces a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt someone like yourself to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. If you choose to do the question, then you should include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

And this is where I tell you that I'm answering the question this month. So without further ado, here is the May 3rd question:

When you are working on a story, what inspires you?

I mostly get inspired by art. Music can inspire me to imagine a scene. A picture or a painting can leave me filled with a story that I must get written down. Another thing that inspires me is interacting and connecting with another person. That "connection" can be a strong driver for creative output. So, I think that those are the three things that inspire me the most to do the creative writing that I enjoy.

Thanks for visiting.

5 comments:

  1. I thought for sure you'd say it was Dungeons & Dragons that inspires you to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Pat's reply!
    Excited for Guardians and then the last Fast movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music inspires me a lot, but really, any art form will work. If it elicits some strong emotional reaction in me, then I want to take that reaction and use it to try to create some art of my own (or at the very least write down some words somewhere).

    Looking forward to Guardians, but I'll probably wait for it to be streaming at home before I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's one way to mark the year--as the movies come out. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music is usually my biggest source of inspiration. I make playlists for each of my stories because it helps so much.

    ReplyDelete