Monday, April 10, 2023

Season 3 of Star Trek Picard is pretty uninteresting as far as storylines go.


I haven't completely caught up with Star Trek: Picard. But, I've seen enough of season three to be a bit nauseated at how deep the nostalgia is going with this series. Look...I liked The Next Generation but I didn't love it. I preferred some of its spinoffs to the furthering adventures of Captain Picard, so maybe I'm part of the problem. Or maybe I just need to have my Trekkie card revoked. Either way, Picard is the worst of the new Trek shows, and I'm glad it is ending with season three.

Thus far this season we have a storyline that gives Picard the son that I guess he was incomplete without. That would have been fine on paper. I could have been on board with just that. But the reality is much more complicated. I dislike the character of Jack sooo much. He's annoying and the fact that they are treating him like some golden child in the vein of Wesley Crusher but with a much darker storyline potential just makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. Why did Picard and Beverly Crusher's son need to be so "special" the whole story had to revolve around him? Because...nostalgia...right? And the character is deeply unappreciative of this position in the story, doing his best to be an unlikeable brat even though he's far too old to have that term thrust upon him. Additionally, the weird romantic tension with Geordi La Forge's daughter feels really awkward...like a forced diversity bit...wherein once more the white guy falls in love with the black woman.

And there are all of these really deep dives into Next Generation stuff. We've had two allusions to the pilot episode of The Next Generation. The first was watching the birth of a bunch of jellyfish like aliens from a nebula that reminded me of the jellyfish alien in Encounter at Farpoint. And then we had this callback of Riker whistling "Pop goes the weasel" in the Holodeck, completing a musical tune that was vexing a very young Data who was having difficulty finishing it on his own. It's made me do some eye rolls a couple of times and then say out loud, "Boy they really are going deep with some of this crap." Then of course there's the appearance of Moriarty again who (the last time I remember) was in a simulation that would never end and provide him with endless adventures via a computer that ran off a battery that would last hundreds if not thousands of years.

Anyway, maybe the whole point of Picard was to remind us of the things that fans liked from The Next Generation. Only...one of the things I loved about Trek was seeing things I hadn't seen before. I love breaking new ground, not retreading old ground over and over again. It's the reason why I haven't liked the last three Star Wars movies that happened after Return of the Jedi. But I have loved The Mandalorian, The Bad Batch, The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels, and all the other tv shows that are on Disney +. Those shows go boldly into stories I don't know, and they expand on the lore. The Force Awakens on the other hand, just retread a plot we've seen before, and it wasn't all that original.

I want to like this show, but it's boring. Anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just completely wrong?

4 comments:

  1. Actually, I like season three far more than the second season, which I didn't even finish watching. Maybe I do like the nostalgia. However, the part where Riker took over and told Picard to stand down had my wife screaming at the television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the first season, didn't watch the second, and haven't gone past the first episode of season 3 yet. As we saw with The Rise of Skywalker, sometimes "fan service" winds up being at the cost of a decent story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, they are hitting the nostalgia way too hard. What I liked about seasons 1 & 2 was that this Picard had moved beyond the Enterprise and was having adventures on his own. Now they got the band back together, and they're riffing on the old playbook. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh, it looks like Blogger ate my comment. Again. (It's in your spam folder. Many of my comments now live in people's spam folders.)

    ReplyDelete