Friday, February 11, 2022

The New York Times in an opinion post answered some burning questions I had and made me realize the importance of self-awareness and accountability.


Yesterday, the New York Times printed something that gave me pause, because it answered questions for me that I thought didn't have an answer. Or to elaborate, it gave me an answer that I thought would have been more elusive than it was. Here is the quote:

"Those falling behind [in America] face a serious threat to their self-worth and well being: Not only are the societal markers of personal worth and status becoming unattainable but, according to the dominant cultural narrative of individual responsibility, this is supposedly the result of their own lack of hard work or merit. Instead of focusing on the economic system and its elites, Right-wing populists usually identify what they call liberal elites in culture, politics, and the media as the 'enemies of the people.' Combined with the rejection of marginalized groups like immigrants, this creates targets to blame for dissatisfaction with one's personal situation or the state of society as a whole while leaving a highly unequal economic system intact."

I was shaken to my core, because it explained so much about people who I interact with everyday. It explained why when I was at a conservative friend's house, I showed her the famous national debt counter. She took one look at it and immediately said, "That's the immigrants doing that. Lord almighty." And I was puzzled why she said that. Well, the answer is in that paragraph above.

I have another conservative friend who is just a mediocre middle-aged man who is unemployed with no bachelor's degree, but (because of his narcissism) believes that he should be the powerful CEO of a company. If you're wondering how he survives, he lives in an apartment subsidized by his non-working aunt with his wife (who works) and pays off the bills while he plays video games and takes out loans on new vehicles. But those delusions aside...when I try to show him that liberal politics are (in fact) better for unemployed people like himself he gets pissed off. When I try to show him that medicare for all would help him and his wife both, he gets angry. Why? The answer is in the paragraph above.

It's weird to come across something with such profound clarity. But I felt like I was searching for this answer for years, and then (suddenly) there it was. Neatly summed up by someone who could put what I was observing into words. And folks...that paragraph is not good news. I don't know how our country is ever going to address low "self worth" from folks who lack any kind of self-awareness or accountability. Because that is exactly what it takes...self awareness and accountability. Without that...we're screwed.

3 comments:

  1. There's a long history of blaming "the other" for problems. That's what led to concentration camps in Europe before and during World War II. The sad thing is while right wingers like to make immigrants out to be lazy welfare moochers, a lot of them work a lot harder than most of us born here. I watched this documentary on Hulu called "Donut King" about Cambodian immigrants who came over in the late 70s and early 80s and basically took over the donut shop market in California. They did (and many still do) work like 12-16 hours a day. The guy who really started everything didn't just get handed anything; he was working 3 jobs when he learned how to make donuts and eventually spun that into his own shop. No way I could do that. I mean I'm at "work" reading your blog and writing a lengthy comment. lol

    But, yep, it's supporting those lazy immigrants who are the real problem.

    And as you say, so many red state people would be helped by progressive values. So many of them protested Obamacare and expansion of Medicare, but in red state places where they have it, people don't want it gone now. A lot of these people shoot themselves in the foot by voting for Republicans over stupid issues that don't really affect them much like abortion or banning assault rifles. But they don't want to accept that they're to blame, so they just look for scapegoats instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People inherently do not like to be self-aware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is why the GOP playing with voting rights is a problem. Because those of us who would vote these people and policies out are in the majority. But with the Electoral College, Gerrymandering, and expunging voters from the rolls, the red continues to dominate.

    That's why the GOP no longer has any real policies. They know if they keep on the culture wars, they've won the self-deluded. They know if they fight to roll back voting rights, they can hold onto power.

    ReplyDelete