Wednesday, January 3, 2024

The New Year is here and the IWSG has a 2024 question about how you use BookBub.


Happy New Year everyone. With 2023 now in the rearview mirror, I've received quite a few "Happy New Year" messages similar to what I think most of you have experienced in your lives. I think my writing resolution this year will be to do less "Doom Posting." But to just get this one comment out of the way before I get onto what the IWSG actually does (and when we post), I think I want to say this: I'm kind of dreading this year (and that's just being honest). It's an election year in the states and with everything else in the world that's going on, it doesn't look good (at least for people who are liberal and enjoy democracy). However, when I go on to review shows that I've watched over the holidays like the movie Leave the World Behind, I hope that you won't take that as doom posting, because the whole movie is literally about "doom." And as an aside note, I'm definitely going to watch A24's new movie Civil War later this year. Who knows? It might be loaded with good survival tips.

Anyway, let's get onto the January 2024 edition of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. This was a monthly blog post event that was started by Alex Cavanaugh over a decade ago, and it has since grown into an inclusive community for writers to connect using their blogs (blogs used to be a thing lol although I think it's still fun to have a web presence even if a lot of people have moved onto platforms like Tik Tok and Insta). If it sounds like something you'd like to join, click HERE to go to the sign-up page in order to participate next month. And after that, keep reading below.

What is the Purpose of the IWSG?: It is to share information, tips, tricks, etc., and it is to encourage others through doing just that. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds.

When do y'all post?: It happens on the first Wednesday of every month. In our community, this is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. On that first Wednesday, you simply post your thoughts on your own blog. The post can be about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. You could also discuss your struggles and triumphs. Or you could offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. One way you can get it to pay off for you is to go and visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer. The website for the IWSG suggests that you aim for a dozen new people each time and return comments (which is the equivalent of online breadcrumbs). You also should link to this page and display their official badge somewhere in your post.

The X(Twitter) handle is @TheIWSG and the hashtag everyone uses is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the January 3rd posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Olga Godim, Diedre Knight, and Natalie Aguirre!

Every month, the IWSG announces a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story.

January 3rd question: Do you follow back your readers on BookBub or do you only follow back other authors?

I didn't actually know what BookBub was, but I looked it up (and I'm going to explain it here so that others who don't use it actually know how this service works). BookBub is a free service that helps you to discover books you'll love through unbeatable deals, handpicked recommendations, and updates from your favorite authors. But they don't actually sell books. They simply try to introduce you to titles that they think you'll like that are available at retailers. They also notify you about free and deeply discounted ebook recommendations selected by their editorial team.

That being said I don't really use it at all. However, I did look on Reddit to see how other people choose to use BookBub, and I read that it's pretty effective at promotion as it has huge mailing lists for genres that can go out to lots of people (provided that people still read their email). And regarding their promos, apparently if you can land one of these, it is always worth it. Others have said that BookBub is so selective with their emails, and who gets on them, that a lot of people really trust the recommendations.

Knowing all of the above, I can tell you how I'd use it then if I stopped being lazy (which is kinda where I'm at right now with regard to signing up for new stuff). Right now in my life, I'd just follow authors because I read quite a bit these days and really enjoy it. But I don't actually need BookBub right now, because my reading list is long. Just to give you an idea of what I'm reading next, here's the list:

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt
Ruination by Anthony Reynolds
The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi
Fourth Wing and Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros
The Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. Howard
A Master of Djinn by P. Djeli Clark
and a re-read of The Shattered World by Michael Reaves so that I can read a sequel I discovered called The Burning Realm

So, once I get through those books, if I need recommendations, I'll know where to sign-up in order to find them. As you can see, my list of books in the queue is full of a lot of fiction. I maintain a subscription to The New York Times, and after reading all the doom in that, I usually need to take a break so non-fiction really isn't my jam. In other words I don't need to read the latest book on how our education system is failing everyone, or how racism has exploded, or how the national debt and climate change are wrecking everything, or on how everyone is a narcissist these days, or how our healthcare system teeters on the brink, or the latest true crime thing, or someone who has a particular insight into some psychopath.

Thanks for visiting my blog. On Friday, I'm going to post about the movie Leave the World Behind and maybe also talk a little about A24's new movie, Civil War. And then on Monday, I want to talk about the movie Saltburn.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back for however long. I also am dreading this new year and really haven't used BookBub much. I might look into it with Goodreads being stupid lately and not letting people update their reading progress from the site--only the app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't need to hear all that in a book as I hear it often enough on the news.
    Welcome back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so that's what BookBub is. Thanks for the explanation. I would check it out if I needed to find books to read. I have too many books loaded on my ereader right now to need more books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm learning about BookBub as I cruise around this week and so far am not impressed enough to sign up. Always nice to meet a fellow avid reader. "You can't write if you don't read,"
    Happy reading in 2024

    ReplyDelete