Monday, January 29, 2024

Even if it is puzzling why Echo was ever greenlit at least it gives us some insights into Daredevil Born Again.

I watched Echo on Disney Plus. That being said, I think this "Echo Pitch Meeting" best describes kinda how I feel about this new character. But, even after you watch the "pitch meeting," I think I have a few thoughts that might be useful regarding this series.


I still kind of liked Echo. It wasn't as dark and gritty as Daredevil, but it clearly emulated the show as far as Kingpin's persona and the action scenes were concerned. It's not quite at Daredevil level with the fight scenes, but they were also fun to watch. The series easily could have been whittled down to a feature length film, but that might have thrown off the pacing. And the series didn't overstay its welcome. Regarding Maya's powers: they are weird in the way that Scarlett Witch's powers were weird, and I don't understand them. I also don't know why she couldn't just cure her own deafness with her own powers, but maybe they just need this character to be deaf for some reason. It's also an interesting thing to see Disney release the entire series in its completion all at once. I don't remember them doing that for any other series I've watched on Disney+. 

Echo is reportedly the first of a bunch of "Spotlight" shows that Disney is launching. In this context, "spotlight" means that these stories will be more grounded and character-driven tales made for the small screen. This also probably means they can save a bunch of money making these things while still retaining subscribers like me.

The "end credits scene" from Echo seemed to be setting up an evil, unmerciful, and very angry Wilson Fisk running for mayor of New York City. This is probably going to be the setting of Daredevil: Born Again which is on the horizon, set in New York City, and has both Charlie Cox reprising his role as Daredevil and incent D'Onofio coming back as Kingpin. And let's face it...these two are fun to watch. I'm sure Kingpin as mayor will introduce all kinds of complications to superheroes who call New York City "home."

This Wednesday, I plan to discuss the Netflix show Blue Eye Samurai. Until then, thanks for visiting.

2 comments:

  1. I can't watch that video right now but like I said on Facebook I would almost guarantee there was some studio interference with this show, whether from Disney or Marvel, I'm not sure.

    It seemed at the start (and from the Hawkeye show) that it was supposed to be a gritty crime thriller with Echo taking down the Kingpin's organization. But by the end it seems like someone decided that the character should be a Choctaw Ms. Marvel and it really didn't work. I mean she suddenly has superpowers and almost instantly knows how to use them and even share them. It really didn't make any sense. And the last episode was only 35 minutes, which means after the recap and credits there was maybe 30 minutes; that seems weird for a finale.

    I hadn't really read any Echo comics so I looked it up on Amazon and I guess the character's original skillset was sort of like Taskmaster where she could instantly master any skill she saw like fighting or even playing the piano. That probably would have been more interesting than vague healing and whatever powers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disney + has so many shows. If I ever get a subscription, I won't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete