Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Silo season 2 arrives in mid November.


How was everyone's long weekend? In my own world, I was dealing with a kidney stone again. I had one in 2013, and my urologist (at the time) told me that there was a 50% chance that I'd have another debilitating one within ten years. Well...I made it eleven years. Anyway, this particular one is one I had to pass naturally (it was much smaller than the 2013 one). However, it was still painful. I'm pretty sure as of the writing of this post that it has descended low enough that it is in my bladder, so the tough part is over with.

Feeling otherwise uninspired really to write anything, I did see that Silo season two is coming back in November (on Apple TV +). I finished season one about a year ago if memory serves. I remember being a blogger when the writer behind Silo, a Hugh Howey, made it pretty big and caught the imagination of other people who were trying to self-publish. He had some pretty great ideas, although I haven't gotten around yet to reading any of his lengthier works. I hear that he's retired now and just living on his millions. I think that's a good way to go about doing things: make a big splash if you can and then just ride on the coattails of your success. I've also heard that he wholeheartedly embraces ai, which can rub a lot of artists the wrong way. So, maybe it's good that he has enough power to be able to ignore the people who are upset about ai and its intersection with the arts.

Season one of Silo showed a lot of promise. The story itself is not ultra-complex, nor does it have a deep premise. In the end, the reasons why you tune into this show are for the characters and their underground dystopian world. The labor of their daily lives never does give you answers to the burning questions of "how did all of these humans end up in this Silo?" It also triggers that "conspiracy theorist" that resides in all of us by giving us little bits of information that elude to the fact that not everything may be as it seems. The idea that "those in charge" might have malevolent control issues resonates with just about everyone who worries about a "deep state" hiding information and making our suffering an intentional act, rather than making us victims of circumstance. 

Because I never read the extended novels (I only read the short story "Wool" that kind of started it all), the first season of Silo never really had an opportunity to fall flat with me. A lot of the time, readers and fans of a book or story won't like the show because they have imagined what the scenes should be like and what they end up seeing doesn't match up properly to that vision. That being said, Hugh (apparently) worked really closely with the showrunners and explained to his fans that the show is what he wants, and that the slight changes in the show are things that he desired. Sure, you do have to get used to Rebecca Ferguson trying to do an American accent (she's terrible at it) but it's honestly just a minor distraction.

I'm embedding the trailer for season 2 of Silo below (also I can't believe that it is almost November and it is still 85 degrees outside here in Salt Lake--ugh). Anyone else excited for this show's return?

3 comments:

  1. Good that the kidney stone has passed. I don't have Apple and haven't read the books (other than Wool) so not really excited about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never watched Silo but I have had a kidney stone and they are excruciating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that where the warm weather went? We're having a chilly week, which is not usual for this time of year. Not that I mind, really. I hope you get a cool down soon. (I did not see season 1 of Silo, so I have no comment about season 2.)

    ReplyDelete

Advertisement 1