Wednesday, August 2, 2023

It's time for the August 2023 Insecure Writer's Support Group post.


July 2023 seemed long. I'm writing this post on Tuesday, August 1st, and for some reason it feels like ages since I participated in the last Insecure Writer's Support Group. Part of it is the heat (I'm sure), and the fact that summers just seem to feel longer these days. They probably are, with heat starting to settle in earlier and leaving later, the result being that we have shortened winter, spring, and fall. In any case, it's now time to do our monthly IWSG post. So, let's go over the details together.

What is the purpose of the IWSG?: It is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds.

When do y'all post?: The IWSG army posts on the first Wednesday of every month. This day is officially the Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. You are to post your thoughts on your own blog. You could talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Or you could discuss your struggles and triumphs. If you have the inclination to do so, please offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. And last (but not least) please attempt to visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writers. You should aim for a dozen new people each time. And don't forget to return comments. This group is all about connecting. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post. And please be sure your avatar links back to your blog. Otherwise, when you leave a comment, people can't find you to comment back.

The Twitter (do we still call it "Twitter" or is it "X" now?) handle for the Insecure Writer's Support Group is @TheIWSG and the hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the August 2nd posting of the IWSG are Kate Larkindale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence!

Every month, the IWSG announces a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say.

Remember, the question is optional!

August 2 question: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?

Yes. As I recall, this happened when I wrote a bunch of pages in first person. It just didn't feel right to me. So, I went back and rewrote them in third person omniscient. And then that didn't feel right to me, so I went back and rewrote them in third person one narrator perspective. By that time, it felt too weird, and I couldn't figure out what tense I wanted to work in. Eventually I settled on some version of third person, but I don't know if I was ever satisfied with any of it.

This is one of the things I continually struggle with when writing. That and tense. Do I use past tense? Do I use present tense? It's all in the verbs, you know? Anyway, I admire writers who can just lay something out in the tense and the person that they want to use, and then they stick with it and finish that project. That's pretty amazing. We probably don't even need to be worried about these things in the future, because ChatGPT or other a.i. programs are just going to write the books and people will just actively skip to the editing phase. I know that sounds cynical, but it's coming. And that's basically what I have to say about that.

5 comments:

  1. Tense is not something I'm good at. Although I've always stuck with third person. First feels too weird for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to mix mine up where some I'll do 3rd person and some I'll do 1st person and most I do present tense but a few lately I've done past tense. There are still some old fuddy-duddies like my frenemy John Oberon who insist you can only write in 3rd person omniscient but that ignores the fact that a lot of first person books and first person present tense books have had plenty of success.

    I'm not sure how these phony "AI" programs decide what tense and perspective to use or if you have to tell them. I've only used the one in Bing and I think it usually uses 3rd person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started a story once in third person, past tense, but it never felt comfortable to me and didn't go anywhere until I changed it to first person, present tense. Only then did I start making progress on it. It's funny how things like that can happen to writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you find the tense you wanted? If you can't figure it out, just choose one and force your way through it. I think at a certain point, it's learning something new and just plugging away until you get used to it, and then it'll feel right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'f far more comfortable writing in first person, but some stories just demand to be told in third person. Especially if you want to be able to tell the story through different characters' perspectives.

    ReplyDelete