Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Despacito is the first Spanish song in twenty years to hit the number one spot in America and it kinda feels good considering the climate of things.

Signs of a bright future for the United States? I've always listened to pop, so I've always kind of paid attention to the charts. The number one song in the country is mostly in Spanish (called "Despacito." I think the translation for it is "slowly/gently/softly." It debuted at number 2 on Billboard's "Hot Latin Songs," and now it's number one in 27 countries. It's the first number 1 spot on the Hot 100 sung in Spanish in twenty years (remember "Macarena"?)

The song is from Puerto Rican artists Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee and has some help from Justin Bieber (say what you want guys but he can sing). I dunno, coming off an election where "taco trucks on every corner" was a warning and a threat, it was just nice to hear this song. Also I kind of like how Bieber sings/says "Des...pah...seeto." Hit play and hear for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. No thanks. You can keep your Justin Bieber. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have to admit, I became way less interested when I read Justin was involved. I've never recovered from my Justin Bieber movie experience, I guess. (My niece wanted to go; I drew the short straw) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I've heard it. Probably. (I'll have to give it a listen when I'm not in class watching kiddos not do work. Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to it and liked it and yes, it made me wanna dance. What more can you ask from a pop song?

    ReplyDelete