Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The iPhone 6S is damn near waterproof. Watch this video and see for yourself.

A few years ago I dropped my iPhone 4 in a hot tub. It was instantly ruined. Because I was on contract, the cost to replace it was around $600.00. But I didn't really have much of a choice as I was not even home at the time and doing some important things that needed to get done with my parents and I couldn't be without a phone. So yeah, it sucked. Ever since then I've paid for the Apple Care Protection Plan whenever I upgraded a phone (it costs an additional $100) because Apple will replace your phone if anything happens to it, and that includes dropping it in a hot tub.

I knew that Apple was working on trying to get all of their internal components waterproof, but I was really surprised at how it could stay submerged in a bowl of water for an hour and wasn't even harmed. This goes beyond even a waterproof case (which tend to look extremely ugly) and defeat the purpose of spending money on some tech bling. With all of their other developments (better camera, instant gif maker, etc.) it makes me really wish I'd waited to upgrade my iPhone 4S to the iPhone 6s. It also makes me think that the iPhone 7 will most likely be completely waterproof.

The biggest surprise: I haven't heard of any of the waterproofing capabilities mentioned by Apple in their advertising. I think that would be a great selling point. No wonder they shattered records when it went on sale the other day.

11 comments:

  1. Probably shouldn't have your phone near the hot tub in the first place. If this really does work, rice sales are going to plummet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the end of a long day and my swim suit has pockets in it. I forgot that I'd put my phone in my pocket with the intention of putting it on a table in case there was an emergency phone call while I was trying to relax. So yeah, momentary absentmindedness.

      Delete
    2. I've left two different phones in a pocket and run them through the washer. Fortunately neither one cost anywhere near $500.

      Delete
  2. Sucks about your phone.
    Waterproof would be a great idea though. Of course, Apple probably likes selling those extra phones when people do drop them in water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This, right here, might be the signal for me to finally get an iPhone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had an iPhone, but the waterproofing capabilities are appealing. My phone has ended up in a river more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't own an I-phone. Few people call me and when I'm away from the house I don't want phone calls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, what a nightmare. But you probably had to upgrade when you did as the 4s was getting on last year. Can you get in on that program where you can upgrade every year? I'm not sure which carrier was doing it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised Apple doesn't promote the waterproofing angle. Maybe they don't want to give customers the idea to test their new phone the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If they can make a waterproof watch, why not a phone? At least I know my son's will stand up to the wash machine. He forgets to clean out his pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your phone. That's way too much money to lose at once. I don’t entirely understand why people want iPhones so much. Especially people who already have a computer and/or a tablet. I mean, how many devices do we need that do the same things? The cost of one of these phones could buy a decent laptop that can still do way more than any cell phone.

    ReplyDelete