Monday, January 12, 2015

Youtube gives us the proof we needed to rest assured that the new lightsaber is a work of genius

To my surprise, the most talked about film for 2015 is probably going to be the seventh installment for the Star Wars franchise, and not the sequel to The Avengers, and most of this is owing to the great trailer that J.J. Abrams put out in fall 2014 which features a red lightsaber with lightsaber quillons...because well...nerds.
In yet another reason to check Reddit, user DaniAlonso put out a post called "Well I don't think the lightsaber in the Star Wars episode VII trailer is dumb anymore" and then linked to a video by YouTuber Thrand who collaborated with his friends Eldgrimr and Marquez to answer the most burning question of our age: does wielding a lightsaber with this design pose any danger to its user? The answer is "no" and whoever thought of this design is actually pretty genius. If you read through the comments of the Reddit thread, you can see that there are millions of people who are emotionally invested in the decision to feature a lightsaber with a "powered" crossguard.

So if you are one of the people that have cast aspersions upon J.J. Abrams and who have lost faith in his ability to bring us the greatest Star Wars movie ever, I think you should ask yourself a few questions:

1) Why is it so hard for me to admit that this lightsaber is really clever?
2) Was there actual testing done behind this, or did they just luck into brilliance?
3) Why did I have a negative reaction to what is (undeniably) very cool?

Maybe the answer is that you're one of those people that's grumpy and likes to tear everyone down because...jealously much?


And in other Star Wars news, is anyone thinking that Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad is hinting very strongly on his Twitter account that he's been cast in the Han Solo spin off? I wonder who he'll play. And yes, if you didn't know, there's a Han Solo and a Boba Fett spin off in the works. Remember, Disney wants to release three Star Wars movies a year from now unto infinity :) and that is what I call a good disturbance in the Force.

17 comments:

  1. Or are you one of those people wondering why others are even talking about this? Chill, folks! The Light Saber looks like a sword. It's a cool idea.
    I'm still more excited for the Avengers sequel though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a problem with the new light sabre. I'm more concerned with whether the new Star Wars movie will be any good. Altho I suppose as long as there's no Jar Jar I'll be pretty happy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you (or did you, I guess) ever watch The Colbert Report? He did a segment on the new light sabre shortly after the trailer was released that I found very funny.

    I didn't know there was a Han Solo/Boba Fett spin off. But if JJ Abrams is doing it, I'll likely end up seeing it.

    And, like Alex, I am about 1,000,000 times more excited for the Avengers sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a character in a video game called No More Heroes and it's sequel that carries a laser sword almost just like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care one way or the other about the lightsaber; what worries me about Abrams is red matter.
    (And it's one Star Wars movie a year, not three.)

    @M.J. Abrams is only doing this Star Wars. They have a different director for Ep VIII, and there will be different people for each of the solo movies (that's solo, not Solo).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @M.J. I heard about the Colbert Report segment but never watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never wondered if it was dangerous to the wielder, more what exactly is the purpose of it? Jar Jar Abrams has developed something of a reputation for being flashy without anything to back it up and I think most people suspect that other than looking cool it won't have any point to it.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only does it look cool, but it does serve a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like my original comment got thrown away by Blogger. Anyhoo, I believe the guy in this video also made another one where he used a huge broadsword, with a crossguard, and paint. Swinging it around, he wanted to see if he'd accidentally touch the "lit" crossguard, which he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still think it looks goofy. There's a reason the Scarlet Knight had a samurai sword, cuz they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Blogger ate my comment. (If this turns out to be a duplicate, please delete.)

    I think I said something about whoever came up with the lightsaber probably took a lot of time to make sure the thing worked. But everyone's going to find something to complain about. People need to complain, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There was always a Christian element in the Star Wars Saga and the new light saber reinforces this with a sword shaped like like something a Christian knight might have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really want to say that's not how lightsabers work, but I am jealous and it is clever. I guess Star Wars has to grow up a little. Single bladed lightsabers just don't cut it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sold on the new lightsaber yet. I'll have to see it in the movie. And no, I hadn't heard about the Han Solo and Boba Fett spin off. Ooooh. Must go google it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A crossguard (or bell) is standard on a lot of blades, but a powered one is indeed cool. But is it a different kind of power?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess attention to details avoids petty criticism that can get in the way of evaluating the bigger aspects of a film. I don't think about things like light sabers, but then again I haven't really been giving much thought to the Star Wars series. Haven't seen any since the original first two films. Maybe I'll catch this one if the reviews make it irresistible for me.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  17. It doesn't matter to me. Star Wars was never serious SF where things have to be technically right. Why analyze it? The more Star Wars the better.

    ReplyDelete