In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM-IV-TR), it is classified under 302.9 Paraphilia.
Although not all coprophiles would necessarily be sadomasochists, little data on the prevalence of this behavior is available except from studies of the sadomasochism (SM) community. A study of 164 male sadomasochists from Finland from two sadomasochism clubs found that 18.2% had engaged in coprophilia; 3% as a sadist, 6.1% as a masochist, and 9.1% as both. 18% of heterosexuals and 17% of homosexuals in the study pool had tried coprophilia, showing no statistically significant difference between heterosexuals and homosexuals.
- Thomas Pynchon's award winning novel Gravity's Rainbow, contains a very detailed scene of coprophagia.
- The 120 Days of Sodom, a novel by the Marquis de Sade, is replete with detailed descriptions of erotic sadomasochistic coprophagia.
- Consider Phlebas, a novel by Iain M. Banks, contains depictions of a tribe known as the Eaters, who repeatedly engage in coprophagia.
- 2 Girls 1 Cup <== Daniel Tosh makes fun of this one on Tosh.O
- August Underground
- The Green Elephant
- The Human Centipede (First Sequence)
- The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence)
- Pink Flamingos
- Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom
- Vase de Noces
And that's it for my Halloween Fetish Countdown. If you have the time, please stop by Mary Pax's blog. I'm a guest at Spacedock 19, and I'm talking about one of my favorite things just in time for Halloween: